GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1048397055

Subject: Re: Griffith's Valuation
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 05:24:15 +0000 (UTC)

Bob Lightburn <> wrote:

: I understand that Griffith's Valuation between the years 1848-1864 can be
: bought on CD-ROM from Broderbund. However, I am told that the information
: on the CD-ROM may be incomplete and/or inaccurate. So, two questions. 1)
: Can anyone comment on the accuracy/completeness of data on this CD-ROM? 2)
: Is anyone aware of an effort to create a better version in CD-ROM format
: and/or accessible on-line? TIA for any information.

Aside from finding some rather bizarre transcription errors, the biggest
drawback I found with the Griffith's CDROM was that it neglects to
identify the barony or poor law union in the search results. You need
this information to figure out which volume to look in to get the full
data associated with a specific property. It's also important to know
who the immediate lessor is as that may lead you to other sources of
information, such as estate records. I'd say save your money and wait for
the Eneclann CD that's coming out.

-dja

This thread: