GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1048651317

From: Charles Sullivan <>
Subject: Re: Griffith's Valuation
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 04:01:57 GMT

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 00:24:15 -0500, ahern wrote:

> Bob Lightburn <> wrote:
>
> : I understand that Griffith's Valuation between the years 1848-1864 can
> : be bought on CD-ROM from Broderbund. However, I am told that the
> : information on the CD-ROM may be incomplete and/or inaccurate. So,
> : two questions. 1) Can anyone comment on the accuracy/completeness of
> : data on this CD-ROM? 2) Is anyone aware of an effort to create a
> : better version in CD-ROM format and/or accessible on-line? TIA for
> : any information.
>
> Aside from finding some rather bizarre transcription errors, the biggest
> drawback I found with the Griffith's CDROM was that it neglects to
> identify the barony or poor law union in the search results. You need
> this information to figure out which volume to look in to get the full
> data associated with a specific property. It's also important to know
> who the immediate lessor is as that may lead you to other sources of
> information, such as estate records. I'd say save your money and wait
> for the Eneclann CD that's coming out.
>
> -dja

Dennis,
I agree with your assessment of the Broderbund Griffith's, plus it's a
pain to use with common names as you have to click on each one before
you can see the townland.

But are you sure the Eneclann Griffith's will be released on CD? I think
the website indicates it will be an online lookup, and it's not clear
whether it will be free or paid.

This thread: