GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1048657092

From: Dennis Ahern <>
Subject: Re: Griffith's Valuation
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 05:38:12 +0000 (UTC)

Charles Sullivan <> wrote:
: On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 00:24:15 -0500, ahern wrote:

:> Bob Lightburn <> wrote:
:>
:> : I understand that Griffith's Valuation between the years 1848-1864 can
:> : be bought on CD-ROM from Broderbund. However, I am told that the
:> : information on the CD-ROM may be incomplete and/or inaccurate. So,
:> : two questions. 1) Can anyone comment on the accuracy/completeness of
:> : data on this CD-ROM? 2) Is anyone aware of an effort to create a
:> : better version in CD-ROM format and/or accessible on-line? TIA for
:> : any information.
:>
:> Aside from finding some rather bizarre transcription errors, the biggest
:> drawback I found with the Griffith's CDROM was that it neglects to
:> identify the barony or poor law union in the search results. You need
:> this information to figure out which volume to look in to get the full
:> data associated with a specific property. It's also important to know
:> who the immediate lessor is as that may lead you to other sources of
:> information, such as estate records. I'd say save your money and wait
:> for the Eneclann CD that's coming out.
:>
:> -dja

: Dennis,
: I agree with your assessment of the Broderbund Griffith's, plus it's a
: pain to use with common names as you have to click on each one before
: you can see the townland.

: But are you sure the Eneclann Griffith's will be released on CD? I think
: the website indicates it will be an online lookup, and it's not clear
: whether it will be free or paid.

Sorry, I'm not sure. I was making an assumption based on past experience
as they have several CDs out, the Dublin 1851 head of household census,
the William Smith O'Brien petition, etc.

-dja

This thread: