GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1048684774

From: LindelB <>
Subject: Re: Griffith's Valuation
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 01:19:34 +1200

The Griffith's Valuation is available in microfiche format on a county
by county basis - I have the one for Donegal and although not cheap to
buy, is priceless - it is complete with the full entries.
To highlight the shortcomings with the CD, which Broderbund have been
aware of for years, I can use some examples for Donegal - the parish of
Stranorlar on the CD only has a few entries - on the microfiche version
there are 944 - the cd is short over 400 names for Clondavaddog,
800 names for Raphoe and over 600 for Donaghmore.
There is alot of mucking about to find specific entries though - you
have to check the householders index for the parish and that gives you
the number of entries for a surname only - you then have to look through
the parish to find the entry in its townland........I have built up a
surname/first name and townland index for the Donegal Griffiths over the
last 3 years, but initially I had to do it the hard way :-)
I bought the microfiche through http://www.gould.com.au/
Lindel

Bob Lightburn wrote:
> Hello listers,
>
> I understand that Griffith's Valuation between the years 1848-1864 can be
> bought on CD-ROM from Broderbund. However, I am told that the information
> on the CD-ROM may be incomplete and/or inaccurate. So, two questions. 1)
> Can anyone comment on the accuracy/completeness of data on this CD-ROM? 2)
> Is anyone aware of an effort to create a better version in CD-ROM format
> and/or accessible on-line? TIA for any information.
>
> Bob Lightburn
> Bay Head, NJ

This thread: