GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1048747549

From: (Sir Crispin Gaylord)
Subject: Re: Griffith's Valuation
Date: 26 Mar 2003 22:45:49 -0800

Charles Sullivan <> wrote in message news:<VC9ga.4509$>...
> On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 00:24:15 -0500, ahern wrote:
>
> > Bob Lightburn <> wrote:
> >
> > : I understand that Griffith's Valuation between the years 1848-1864 can
> > : be bought on CD-ROM from Broderbund. However, I am told that the
> > : information on the CD-ROM may be incomplete and/or inaccurate. So,
> > : two questions. 1) Can anyone comment on the accuracy/completeness of
> > : data on this CD-ROM? 2) Is anyone aware of an effort to create a
> > : better version in CD-ROM format and/or accessible on-line? TIA for
> > : any information.
> >
> > Aside from finding some rather bizarre transcription errors, the biggest
> > drawback I found with the Griffith's CDROM was that it neglects to
> > identify the barony or poor law union in the search results. You need
> > this information to figure out which volume to look in to get the full
> > data associated with a specific property. It's also important to know
> > who the immediate lessor is as that may lead you to other sources of
> > information, such as estate records. I'd say save your money and wait
> > for the Eneclann CD that's coming out.
> >
> > -dja
>
> Dennis,
> I agree with your assessment of the Broderbund Griffith's, plus it's a
> pain to use with common names as you have to click on each one before
> you can see the townland.
>
> But are you sure the Eneclann Griffith's will be released on CD? I think
> the website indicates it will be an online lookup, and it's not clear
> whether it will be free or paid.

The Family Archive CD version is less then useless as it *entirely*
omits what is by far and away the most important information in the
Valuation - the name of the landlord. How on earth one is supposed to
do any serious research on landed families with such an abomination
totally escapes me.

Yours, etc.

Sir Crispin Gaylord, Bt.

This thread: