GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1048834221

Subject: Re: Excerpts from Irish newspapers
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 06:50:21 +0000 (UTC)

W A N T O N O U T R A G E .

WE record, with feelings of disgust and shame, the
disgraceful fact that, on Monday evening, at an early
hour, a stone was flung at the handsome shop
window of Mr. Henry O'Hara, by which a beautiful
pane of glass, value £10, was smashed. As yet, we
understand, there is no trace of the perpetrator of
this wanton and infamous act ; but we sincerely
hope that the police, who are so uncommonly active
in matters of less moment, will be enabled to
discover the guilty party, and bring him or her to
punishment. Mr. O'Hara expresses his intention of
presenting for the damage done to his property ;
and we see no reason why he should not be
supported in his laudable effort to improve the
appearance of this city by beautifying his own shop
front. If there be no redress for acts of such wanton
wickedness, there must, naturally, be an end to all
improvement and embellishment.

--The Cork Examiner, 23 December 1846

Dennis Ahern | Ireland Newspaper Abstracts
Acton, Massachusetts | http://www.newspaperabstracts.com/Ireland