GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1048887721

From: "Cathy Joynt Labath" <>
Subject: !! Connaught Journal; Nov 9, 1840
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 15:42:01 -0600

THE CONNAUGHT JOURNAL
County Galway, Ireland
Monday, November 9, 1840

ROBBERY AND ATTEMPT AT MURDER
On Monday night last, two labourers, from the neighbourhood of
Ballinrobe, returning from England, stopped at a lodging-house at Moylough,
and early next morning proceeded on their journey in the direction of Tuam.
They had not gone more than a mile distance from the village, when one of
them, named Patt M'Hugh, struck his companion with a three pronged fork and
continued to assault him, until he actually beat a portion of his brains out
on the road, where he left him for dead, after depriving him of all the
property he had in his possession. The case was reported to the officer of
police at Mount Bellew, B. Cummins, Esq., who immediately proceeded to the
spot where the cruel deed was perpetrated; and whilst rendering all the
assistance in his power to the unfortunate man, he having him removed to an
adjacent house, and procuring medical aid, he obtained information of the
route and description of the assassin (for thus we call him,) Mr. Cummins
forthwith pursued him, and fortunately succeeded in arresting him in a
lodging house in Dunmore, and brought him in custody to Mount-Bellew, where,
after a full investigation before the magistrates of petty sessions, he was
duly committed to the county gaol to abide his trial for the atrocious deed.
This M'Hugh, we understand, fled to England in 1838, in consequence of
having robbed and nearly murdered a boy near Headford, for which he was not
apprehended, but has now been fully identified by the man in Galway gaol.
Since the above was written, we learn that the unfortunate Finerty died. An
inquest was held on the body by A. Hosty, Esq., coroner, and a verdict of
wilful murder returned against M'Hugh--Tuam Herald.

Cathy Joynt Labath
Ireland Newspaper Abstracts
http://www.newspaperabstracts.com/Ireland/index.html

This thread: