GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1048926329

From: "Allan Connochie" <>
Subject: Re: Help needed to resolve James Milvain ancestry
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 08:25:29 -0000

"Allan Connochie" <> wrote in message
news:...

> "a l l y" <> wrote in message
> >
> > Sam Sloan wrote in message <>...
> > |Help needed to resolve James Milvain ancestry
> > |
> > |My great-great-great-great-grandfather was James Milwain, who was
> > born
> > |in 1755 in Wigtown County, Scotland. His wife was Jean Paul or Jean
> > |Saul (1749-1835) who was said to be the sister of John Paul Jones,
> > the
> > |famous American Revolutionary War sea captain. However, the book by
> > |Don Thomson expresses the view that she was not the sister of John
> > |Paul Jones. I still believe that she was, in part because all of my
> > |Graham Family relatives have heard this story from their ancestors
> > and
> > |believe that she was. However, that is not the issue I am discussing
> > |now.
> >

> > John Paul Jones came from Whitehaven, Cumbria, so his sister would be
> > English, not Scots.
>
> John Paul Jones was very much a Scot and was born in Kircudbrightshire.

Or to be more exact he was born in the gardener's cottage of the Arbingland
Estate in Kirkbean! At the age of thirteen he was apprenticed to a merchant
on the ship "Friendship" which sailed between Whitehaven and Barbados. It
is a long jump to say that because someone starts his working life on a ship
based at an English harbour he, and his sister, are therfore English.

cheers

Allan

This thread: