GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2004-01 > 1074174629

From: Dennis Ahern <>
Subject: Re: Excerpts from Irish newspapers
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 13:50:29 +0000 (UTC)

From The Cork Examiner, 23 January 1864 -

TO THE EDITOR OF THE CORK EXAMINER
------------
Calcutta, 7th December, 1863.
DEAR SIR,--As a contrast and as an example of liberality
and noble-mindedness I herewith beg to enclose a copy of
an inscription on the tomb of a non-commissioned officer,
late of her Majesty's 43rd Regiment, which have just
embarked here in the Lady Jocelyn, steamer, for New
Zealand. The tomb I have seen here erected in the Roman
Catholic chapel of Fort William, Calcutta. The inscription is
as follows:--

Sacred to the memory of
Quartermaster Sergeant John Halloran,
of the 43rd or Monmouthshire Light Infantry,
who departed this life
on the 14th of June, 1863,
aetat 28.
To record his early death and exemplary character
this tablet has been erected by an Officer in
the Regiment under whom he served.

Your readers will be surprised and equally pleased when
I inform you that the tomb, &c., was erected at the sole
expense of a Welsh Protestant, the Adjutant and
Paymaster of the regiment, and reflects honourably to his
liberality and goodness of heart. Quartermaster Halloran
was the third Irishman who filled the post under the
Adjutant, and so well pleased had he been with the last
deceased that he raised the above memorial in the Roman
Catholic chapel, alike creditable to the gallant officer and
the respected deceased Quartermaster, which must be
gratifying to his friends in Ireland.
D. A. M'C.

Dennis Ahern | Ireland Newspaper Abstracts
Acton, Massachusetts | http://www.IrelandOldNews.com