GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2004-01 > 1074450055

From: Dennis Ahern <>
Subject: Re: Excerpts from Irish newspapers
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 18:20:55 +0000 (UTC)

From The Clare Journal, 14 January 1836 -

LOSS OF THE SHIP FRS. SPAIGHT
From the Limerick Times

It is with the deepest regret we announce the loss of the ship
Francis Spaight, T. Gorman, Master, of Limerick, the property
of the eminent merchant of that name. Mr. Spaight received this
morning, the subjoined letter from his Captain, apprising him of
this most lamentable occurrence, which is more to be deplored
on account of the loss of seven lives! --The vessel was on its
return voyage from St. John's, New Brunswick, to Limerick, and
was upset in a tremendous gale, which had obliged her to lie to.
She was a first class ship -- one of several employed by Mr.
Spaight in the American trade--we may, perhaps, add, the finest
belonging to our city--and remarkable from her quick and
fortunate passages.

TO FRANCIS SPAIGHT, Esq.
Falmouth, 8th Janaury, 1836
DEAR SIR--It is with the greatest reluctance that I can bring
myself to tell you that your fine ship is lost, and which I am
heartily sorry for. We left St. John's on the 25th November, and
on the [night] of the 3d Dec. in lat. 46 N.--long., about 48 W.,
when lying-to, under a closed reefed mizen topsail, the ship upset
and turned bottom up. On getting the masts cut away, she again
righted, but with the loss of three of the crew--William Griffiths,
Patt Cusack, and Patt Behane, apprentice, and every article on
deck save the bare poop deck, not leaving us, the remaining
sufferers, fifteen in number, the smallest particle of provisions, or
yet water. We were then left in that dreadful state, such as tongue
could not describe until the 22d, when, not being able to endure
suffering any longer, Pat O'Brien a boy, John Gorman, cook,
Michael Behane, and George Burns, apprentice, died * * *
* * * * * * * [Here we withold, at the desire of
Mr. Spaight, and out of respect for the feelings of the public,
some shocking facts in connexion with the dreadful occurence.]
On the afternoon of that day were taken off the wreck by the
Angorona, Captain Jillard, bound from Newfoundland to
Teignmouth, and landed here this morning. Through Captain
Jillard's kind attention, we are getting quite recovered, for we
were in a most dreadful state when he took us off the wreck.
This, Sir, is a most dreadful account for you, but it cannot now be
helped.
I am, dear Sir, your obedient servant,
TIMOTHY GORMAN.

FURTHER PARTICULARS.

It will be seen by the preceeding letter, that the master and
crew were nineteen days upon the wreck, without covering, or a
morsel of provisions, or a drop of water. How they existed
during fourteen days of that time, it is impossible to say ; but as
respects the other five days, the facts are harrowing--they are, in
truth, too painful to be just now told. On a reference to Lloyd's
List we find that twenty vessels are reported as having foundered
on the same night. It is somewhat gratifying to add that the
Francis Spaight was insured.

Dennis Ahern | Immigrant Ships Transcribers Guild, Irish Maritime News
Acton, Mass. | http://immigrantships.net/newsarticles/newsarticles.html