GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2008-06 > 1214723137

From: mathuna <>
Subject: Re: News extracts: June 2, 1822: Letter from convict, at Cove ofCork,to his wife, in Armagh
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 17:05:37 +1000

Alison Kilpatrick wrote:
> Transcribed from the 2 July 1822 edition of The Strabane Morning
> Post, by permission of The British Library:
>
> A Convict[']s Letter to his Wife.
> The following is an authentic copy of a genuine letter sent by a
> convict to his wife, now a prisoner in Armagh:--
>
> June the 2d, 1822.
> Dear Elonir--I received your last letter, dated the 21st of March,
> and my reason for not answering it was wating to I would have a full
> account of what would happen to me; but now I can inform you that I am
> on board the convict ship in the Cove of Cork, bound for Botany Bay,
> which I am not sorry at; all that grieves me is the parting of you, and
> I would give all ever I seen to have you transported along with me. When
> your time is up, my advise to you is to not leave the town of Armagh to
> you will do something that will have you sent after me; you will have my
> blessing night and morning if yo do that--and as Ireland has turned out
> so bad, and nothing but hunger and hardship to it, you need not be sorry
> to lave it. Thanks be to God, my mind was never contenter in my life,
> for my hart is broke with confinement, and I have every promise to do
> well when I reach the other side. The ship I am in has the best
> comendations for pashaners, and is kept so clane that is a pleasure to
> be in her; and the different officers on board gives every well behaved
> man heer every indulgence. We are trated very well in regard of
> alowance, and will be better when we set out to sail. I dont expect to
> get as much hardship to I gow to Botney Bay as I get coming from Dublin
> heer. Dont be afraid of not seeing me when you reach the other side; but
> if you wish to come, mind the ship's name, and the time that I was sent
> away, and the Governor, when you reach the other side, will have you
> sent to me. There is one hundred and ninety convicts to gow over in this
> ship, forby sum gentlemen and ladys that is paying there passage, and is
> in a part of the ship buy themselves. Write to me as fast as you get
> this, for I think that we will not sail to there will be an answer back;
> and give my love to Robert Boulter, and send an other letter with him to
> the other side. Give me all you know. No more from your loving husband
> to death.
> Direct your letter as followes: To the care of Mr. Sargent, bord of
> the Mangles, Cove of Cork for ---, convict from the county Tyrone.
> My blessing and God's blessing be with you and remain with you to I
> have the pleasure of seeing you in the other side. I will direct all my
> letters that I will send to you to the care of Jas. Robison, Monaghan.

Alison - Fascinated by the convict letter you posted, can you give me a
few more details - did the convict "make good" here in Australia? Since
my son wrote "Notorious Strumpets" about female convicts transported to
Tasmania 1803-1829 I am always interested in anything to do with
convicts. Patricia

This thread: