GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2008-10 > 1225424213

From: (Brendan R. Wehrung)
Subject: re: Ship lists Leaving Ireland, GB 1827
Date: 31 Oct 2008 03:36:53 GMT

() writes:
> In <>, on 10/25/2008
> at 05:34 PM, George Richard <> said:
>

>>hi:
>
>>There are a couple of places you can look at. The one I tend to use is
>>the following. Please remember though that pre 1860, ships passenger
>>lists were often 'optional' when the captain handed the manifest to
>>wherever the ship landed. You may need to look up a bunch of
>>individual ships records, but here you go. hope you find what you are
>>looking for.
>
>>http://www.telusplanet.net/public/mtoll/immigr.htm
>
>>http://www.olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/
>
>>http://home.att.net/~wee-monster/onlinelists.html
>
>>http://www.theshipslist.com/Research/canadarecords.htm
>
>>some of the above are US based, some are canadian and others (like the
>>first list) is international and a meta engine based.
>
>>regards,
>
>>dawn
>

> Thank you.
>
> Please, can you tell me more about "pre 1860, ships passenger lists were
> often 'optional' when the captain handed the manifest to wherever the
> ship landed."
>
> What ports does this apply to. Its my understanding that passenger lists
> were not optional at the ports of NY and Boston from about 1820. Are you
> referring to passenger lists at Canadian ports, or can you just tell me
> where I might find more information about ship lists from the 1820s?
>
> Ed

I have a similar situation, with similar results. My (tenuous) other
evidence suggested Jame McGinley came to the US in 1827, and sure enough
in 1827 there are two with that name. One turned out to be an 1837 voyage
that had been misfilmed and the other a schooner that came down from
Halifx. When I asked about entry lists for Halfax i was told that as a
British possession no passports or other entry documents were required,
and further that he could have embarked from a number of ports (for the
voyage to Canada) because ships stopped both in Ireland and England to
pick up passengers.

No joy.

Brendan

This thread: