GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2011-11 > 1322053852

From: Dennis Ahern <>
Subject: Re: Is this group moderated?
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 13:10:52 +0000 (UTC)

Tony Proctor <> wrote:

: "webmayo" <> wrote in message
: news:...
:> Just joined. I was dissapointed by the unacceptable amount of spam.
:> I don't know much about google groups, but is there no moderator for
:> this group?

: I didn't know about it being unmoderated but it's almost unused as far as I
: can see. Nothing like the related 'britain' in the level of participation.
: Anyone know why that is? Irish genealogy barely existing or maybe there's a
: better-used group elsewhere....?

: Tony Proctor

It's not moderated, yet I see only very occasional spam here and when I
do, I add it to my filter list so I won't see anything from that source
again. As for the quietude, I think it's because most of the participants
have moved on to more targeted lists at the county or even town level.
These are on rootsweb rather than on Usenet and are mailing lists rather
than news groups.

-dja

This thread: