GLAMORGAN-L Archives

Archiver > GLAMORGAN > 2009-08 > 1249581302

From: robert williams <>
Subject: [GLA] Charles ELLIOTT.
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 17:55:02 +0000 (GMT)

My Thanks to all those who looked for my Elusive Ancestor,My Great,Grandfather Charles ELLIOTT in the Prison Records.
It seems he wasn't such a bad boy after all.
He must have did some petty Crime not to have been "Mentioned in Despatches".
I guess he owed someone a few shillings,as in those days,They Locked you up for any
Little crime.
Unlike today of course.
[we won't go in to that here!]
I have found him in 1911.Or Rather some kind soul did for me.
He was living with his daughter and son-in-law in Chancery Lane Canton,Cardiff.
He is still proving to be a Mystery though for his Great,Grandson to find him in the 1901 census.
Ive got him in 1861,71,81,91,and 1911.
But he's not in the 1901 Census Index for where he should be?
I did find a 38 year old Batchelor up in Birmingham in 1901.
But Charles would have been all of 44 going on 45 in 1901.
He was Incidently,Born In Merthyr Tydfil in 1856.[I have his Birth Certificate]
He also put this Birth Place down when he was Banged up in the 1891 census.
Which was the FIRST Time he actually told the "Census Enumerators"The Truth of where he was born.
Previous entries gave "Cardiff,Machen,and Tredegar"as his Birthplace's.
He seemed to pick the actual place where he WAS in that Decade, as his Birthplace!
He was,as I mentioned Earlier,a "Chimney Sweep".
Cheers,Graham.
From:- Graham WILLIAMS,of Canton,Cardiff.
Chairman,of "The Canton Historical Society".
Glam;FHS;#551.

This thread: