GLAMORGAN-L Archives

Archiver > GLAMORGAN > 2009-08 > 1249844346

From: "Gareth" <>
Subject: Re: [GLA] Parish boundaries in Rhondda valley.
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 19:59:06 +0100

Ken
Looking at the maps in Kain/Oliver (Historic Parishes of England & Wales
Electronic Map) which do have parish boundaries marked as approximate
overlays, I would say that the River Rhondda did form much of the boundary
line between Llantrisant/Llanwonno parishes in the C19th.
I would have referred you to the online maps on the Vision of Britain site
but it isn't working properly today, seems it's being revamped.
http://vision.edina.ac.uk/index.jsp

I'm not 100% sure but I would guess from various maps that Hafod and
Tre-Hafod were/are
effectively the same place.

But there is no reason to think that Graigwen, Pantygraigwen and
Pengraigwen
were *precisely * the same place - the Welsh words 'pant/pen' after all
describes particular,
and different, geographical features.
Having said that, they would all have been in fairly close proximity given
the Craig-Wen commonality.

Registration of BMD events after 1837 were based on registration districts,
not parishes per se
http://home.clara.net/tirbach/hicks.html#RegDistricts

Gareth
Genuki Wales http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/