GLAMORGAN-L Archives

Archiver > GLAMORGAN > 2009-08 > 1250012707

From: "Robert Treharne Jones" <>
Subject: Re: [GLA] Wages and Cost of Living
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 18:45:07 +0100

Helen

Try http://tinyurl.com/mnukk

Robert

-----Original Message-----
From: [mailto:]
On Behalf Of

Been searching on the internet to no avail, and wondered if anyone knew the
likely wage of an agricultural labourer (I know I'm particularly looking at
Mid Wales)

in Wales.  I found that the particular amount an ancestor was left in a Will
was £276 15s 4d which is equivalent to £16,000 + today (according to
National Archives), surely the wages weren't high enough to save???

Just curious to know what a weekly wage would've been in 1897 and the cost
of living.  Does anyone know of a website to point me at? Or do they have
the answer?

This thread: