GLAMORGAN-L Archives

Archiver > GLAMORGAN > 2009-08 > 1250615571

From: "Martin Wright" <>
Subject: [GLA] Re. Missing from 1911 Census (Martin Wright)
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 18:12:51 +0100

Further to my request made yesterday

"My Grandfather Frederick William Wright was an attendant at the Cardiff Mental Hospital from it's opening in 1909.
In 1913 he, his wife Emily Elizabeth and their sons William Andrew and Sidney Charles were living at 5 Park Road, Whitchurch, Cardiff a house belonging to the Hospital, I suspect they were at that address when the 1911 Census was taken, there is as far as I can see no sign of them in the census. Furthermore I have not been to identify for certain any Cardiff Mental Hospital Staff in the Census of that year.
Has anybody been able to trace any of the Hospital's staff in the 1911 Census? Is it possible that a large institution may have been lost to the Census?"

I have had two replies; thank you to John Griffiths for the information from the baptismal records including the news that Frederick William and Emily Elizabeth had a daughter of whom I was unaware. John could you tell me which Parish they were baptised in please?

And a suggestion from the Cohens that I forward to the list the years of birth of the family members who would have been in the census return they are; Frederick William Wright and Emily Elizabeth Wright both born in 1879, William Andrew Wright born 1907and Sidney Charles Wright born 1908, For completeness the other family members I am aware of are Gweneth Wright born 1911, Edwin John Wright born 1913 and Trevor Thomas Wright born 1918.

I will be very grateful for any information.

Best wishes

Martin Wright

This thread: