HARRELL-L Archives

Archiver > HARRELL > 2011-01 > 1294286122

Subject: [HARRELL] Fat Old Levy
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 22:55:22 -0500 (EST)

Dear Cousins,

As most of you know this is one of my favorite subjects. I had previously
rejected the idea that the "Fat Old Levi" who died on the banks of the
Mississippi River was Levi Harrell 1750 of the Pee Dee. I recently
established contact with Frank Calabrese who is a direct descendant of William
Harrell 1810 who wrote the autobiography in which he described his grandfather as
Leroy (Ole Fat Levi). Frank provided me with a document about Hezekiah
Harrell who was the uncle of William Harrell 1810 and the son of Old Fat Levi.

This document clearly describes the father of Hezekiah Harrell as Fat Old
Levi. This appears to have been independently written as it contains
additional information not contained in William's autobiography.

I need to relook the issue of Levi Harrell dying on the Mississippi. No
one has ever produced a will for Levi. There may have been some estate
papers for Levi but I have never located them either. We know Levi owned
several large tracts of land in the Charleston district so it is possible that
he still had holdings in South Carolina when he died on the Mississippi.

The papers of Lewis Harrell, Levi's brother, indicate that he went away to
the wilderness for a while, so he may have accompanied Levi then returned
to South Carolina.

There are currently 6 children attributed to Leroy "Fat Old Levi" but only
two, Samuel and Hezekiah can be verified by documentation.

I indicate Levi 1750 had seven children with Sarah Cole and three more
with Esther White. I have never been able to verify any of these.
Reconciling the six children of "Fat Old Levi" with the ten children of Levi 1750
would be difficult but not beyond the realm of possibilities.

We hope to soon be able to obtain a DNA sample from a descendant of
William Harrell. Maybe this will finally shed a little light of "Fat Old Levi"

"EAST FELICIANA, LOUISIANA, PAST AND PRESENT."

SKETCHES OF THE PIONEERS,

By H. Skipwith
1892
Hopkins Printing Office, 20 & 22 Commercial Place,
New Orleans

PIONEERS OF THE SEVENTH WARD.

Among the earliest comers into the Seventh Ward were David Pipes, Sr.,
Ben Graves, Jno. C. and Thos. Flynn, and Thos. East, from
Edgefield District, S.C., who founded his home on the place
familiarly known in after years as the residence of Dr.
Isaac Caulfield, and to this list ought of right to be
added the names of the ancestor of the Harrell family, for
it is a well attested tradition that Hezekiah Harrell was
sent as early as 1802 by his father, fat old Levi Harrell,
of Charleston District, S.C., to explore these southern
wilds for a home large enough for his "old folks," the
little ones, the slaves and the herds. In discharge of his
mission, Hezekiah, having obtained a liberal Spanish grant,
commenced a "hatchet clearing," in 1802, on the banks of
Pretty Creek, just at the foot of "Mount DeLee." While
cutting the canes, Hezekiah would prudently at night, retire
up in the forks of the trees, from which secure but uncom-
fortable roost he would calmly observe the gambols, westlings
and fights of bears, panthers and wolves, which was as good as
a play. His pilgrimage closed by a return to the old folks
at home, and his report was so satisfactory that active
preparations for a general exodus of the Harrells, from
Charleston District, commenced and took up the line of travel
by flat boats down the head waters of the Tennessee river,
braving the hidden rocks, eddies, cataracts and whirlpools
of the Muscle Shoals. The patriarch of this exodus, Mr.
Levi Harrell, died upon his journey in 1803, and the duty
devolved upon Hezekiah to lead the children, slaves and herds,
via Natchez down to his hatchet clearing at the foot of
"Mount DeLee" on Pretty Creek. (Frank Calabrese 5 Jan 2010)

Garland Lively
193 HCR 2201
Aquilla TX 76622
Ph: 254-694-6719