IN-GENSOC-NEWS-L Archives

Archiver > IN-GENSOC-NEWS > 2007-02 > 1172266526

From: "Meredith Thompson" <>
Subject: [IN-GENSOC-NEWS] 23 February 2007 (Volume 4, Issue 2)
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:35:26 -0500

IN-GENSOC-NEWS

An electronic newsletter published by the Indiana Genealogical Society

Editor: Meredith Thompson,

Volume 4, Issue 2-23 February 2007

In this issue:

1) UPDATE: INDIANA MARRIAGE INDEXING PROJECT

2) LIBRARY FOR HANCOCK COUNTY GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY

3) UPDATE: SHELBY COUNTY STORAGE PROBLEM

4) GENFEST 2007

5) DELAWARE COUNTY WEBSITE CHANGE

6) IGS ANNOUNCES DATES OF FUTURE CONFERENCES

7) UPDATE: PRE-1850 INDIANA MARRIAGE INDEX

8) IGS SEMINAR IN EVANSVILLE

9) UPCOMING PROGRAMS IN NORTHWESTERN INDIANA

10) INDIANA TRACK AT FGS CONFERENCE

11) REPRESENTATIVE SOUGHT FOR BLOOMINGTON AREA

12) GENEALOGY EVENTS

13) QUERIES

14) IGS CONFERENCE IN FORT WAYNE

15) CONTRIBUTE TO "ONCE A HOOSIER"

16) SOCIETY OF CIVIL WAR FAMILIES OF INDIANA

17) HOW TO JOIN IGS

18) INSTRUCTIONS FOR UNSUBSCRIBING

1) UPDATE: INDIANA MARRIAGE INDEXING PROJECT

Thanks to the efforts of literally hundreds of volunteers from around the
country (and the world), we can report much progress in the project to
create an online index to Indiana marriages for 1790-1957. Even though work
is still underway to digitize many of the marriage records for this time
frame, volunteers have already indexed over 25,000 records. For information
on the project, visit http://www.indgensoc.org/indexing.html

2) LIBRARY FOR HANCOCK COUNTY GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY

The Hancock County, Indiana Genealogical Society
(http://www.rootsweb.com/~inhcgs/index.html/) has acquired access to the old
public library in New Palestine (11 E. Main St., New Palestine IN 46163).
It will now be used as the society's library and will be open to the public
at selected times. Donations of materials are now being accepted for their
library-for more information, please e-mail

3) UPDATE: SHELBY COUNTY STORAGE PROBLEM

In our last issue, we told you about a problem with the storage of some of
Shelby County's records at Shelby Manor. The Shelby County Genealogical
Society has talked with the Shelby County Commissioners and the Shelby
County Clerk and has proposed to raise money for a temporary storage unit
(to prevent any further damage). Volunteers from the society would then
inventory the records and prepare them to possibly be microfilmed by the
county (if financially feasible). The society has set up a fund to cover
the temporary storage unit and supplies for the volunteers who deal with the
records (including face masks because of the mold). If you would like to
contribute, please make your check payable to Shelby County Genealogical
Society (indicate "Save Our Records" on the memo line) and send to: Shelby
County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 434, Shelbyville IN 46176. If you
have any questions, please contact society president Susan Armstrong-e-mail

4) GENFEST 2007

The Marion Public Library is pleased to announce that GenFest 2007 will be
held in Marion, Indiana on June 8 and 9, 2007. GenFest originated at a
picnic for genealogists in Delaware County, Indiana about four years ago as
a way for people to devote a couple of days to genealogy and to share
knowledge. In 2005 the event expanded to a regional event. Organizations
from surrounding counties were invited to share their resources during the
two-day event, which was held at the Muncie Public Library. Anderson Public
Library was the site for GenFest in 2006.

An old-fashioned barbecue on Friday, June 8 will kick off GenFest 2007. The
Company Singers, a Civil War period vocal group from Huntington, will
perform on the Jay House lawn beginning at 6:30 pm. The Indiana Room at the
Marion Public Library will be open until 8 pm to accommodate researchers.
The Indiana Room will reopen on Saturday, June 9 at 9 am. Both the library
and the Carnegie Building will serve as an exhibitors' mall for both
genealogy organizations and vendors to sell their wares. Shirley Richison
Fields, who heads up the marriage records indexing project for the Indiana
Genealogical Society, will give morning and afternoon demonstrations of that
project in the computer lab. A shuttle bus will be available at posted times
to take researchers to visit Grant Memorial Park and The Historic Estates of
Serenity cemeteries. Door prizes will be awarded throughout the day. A food
vendor will be on site for researchers to purchase lunch.

All events are free. Thus far people from eleven states have registered to
attend GenFest 2007. Registration forms are available in the Indiana Room at
the Marion Public Library as well as on the library's website
(http://www.marion.lib.in.us/genfest/genfest07.htm). For more information,
please contact Rhonda Stoffer-phone (765) 668-2900 ext. 153, or e-mail

5) DELAWARE COUNTY WEBSITE CHANGE

The address for the website of the Delaware County Historical Society in
Muncie has changed. Its new address is http://www.the-dchs.org

6) IGS ANNOUNCES DATES OF FUTURE CONFERENCES

The Indiana Genealogical Society has confirmed the locations of its upcoming
annual conferences. Start planning now! The 2008 conference will be held
April 4-5, 2008 in Evansville. The 2009 conference (celebrating the
society's 20th anniversary) will be held April 3-4, 2009 in Indianapolis.
And Terre Haute will be the site of the 2010 conference (date to be
determined).

7) UPDATE: PRE-1850 INDIANA MARRIAGE INDEX

The searchable database of Indiana marriages up to 1850 (which is maintained
by the Indiana State Library) has moved. It can now be found at
http://digital.statelib.lib.in.us/db/marriages_search.asp

8) IGS SEMINAR IN EVANSVILLE

Save this date! The Indiana Genealogical Society's annual Society Management
Seminar will be held at the Evansville library on Saturday, September 8,
2007 beginning at 9:30 am. Attendees who are members of an IGS Chapter will
be admitted free; for all others, there will be a small fee to cover
materials. Watch future issues for details.

9) UPCOMING PROGRAMS IN NORTHWESTERN INDIANA

The Northwestern Indiana Genealogical Society
(http://www.rootsweb.com/~innwigs/) will have several programs of interest.
On March 17 at 10 am at the Lake County Public Library in Merrillville
(http://www.lakeco.lib.in.us), archivist and teacher Craig Pfannkuche will
present a program on "Bad Guys in Our Family Trees." On April 21 at 10 am
at the Porter County Public Library in Valparaiso
(http://www.pcpls.lib.in.us), Steve McShane from the Calumet Regional
Archives will present a program on "South Shore Posters" and how they came
to be. And on May 19 at 10 am at the Lake County Public Library in
Merrillville (http://www.lakeco.lib.in.us), author Paul S. Valsek will
present a program on "Polish Roots" and will have copies of his book,
"Haller's Polish Army in France," available for purchase.

10) INDIANA TRACK AT FGS CONFERENCE

The Federation of Genealogical Societies (http://www.fgs.org) will hold
their Annual Conference on August 15-18, 2007 at the Grand Wayne Center in
Fort Wayne, Indiana. The theme will be "A Meeting At The Crossroads of
America." There will be an Indiana track at the conference, sponsored by the
Indiana Genealogical Society. The track will include these lectures:

--"Exploring the Crossroads of America: Indiana Records and Repositories" by
Curt B. Witcher

--"Research in Indiana Church Records" by John D. Beatty

--"If I Were A Record, Where Would I Hide? Mining Indiana's Court Records"
by John J. Newman

--"FamilySearch Indexing Comes to Indiana: The Marriage Index Project" by
Stephen Valentine

--"German Protestant Church Records in Indiana" by Roger Minert

--"Timeless Treasures in the Indiana State Archives" by Jim Corridan

--"Indiana Newspaper Research" by Dawne Slater-Putt

A full schedule and information on registering will be posted at
http://www.fgsconference.org

11) REPRESENTATIVE SOUGHT FOR BLOOMINGTON AREA

The Indiana Genealogical Society is seeking candidates to serve as the
District Director for the South Central District. The South Central
District represents the interests of genealogists in Bartholomew, Brown,
Clark, Crawford, Floyd, Harrison, Jackson, Lawrence, Monroe, Orange, Scott
and Washington counties. Candidates must live in one of these counties, be
an IGS member, and attend IGS board meetings, which are held quarterly (3
meetings each year in central Indiana, and 1 meeting per year in Fort
Wayne). For more information, contact IGS President Betty L. Warren-e-mail

12) GENEALOGY EVENTS

Here are details of some upcoming genealogy events in the area (for a full
listing, please visit http://www.indgensoc.org/calendar.html):

Bartholomew County:

-- The Bartholomew County Genealogical Society (P.O. Box 2455, Columbus IN
47202) will meet March 24 at 1 pm in the Red Room of the Bartholomew County
Public Library (http://www.barth.lib.in.us). There will be a program on
medical records.

Hancock County:

-- The Hancock County, Indiana Genealogical Society
(http://www.rootsweb.com/~inhcgs/index.html/) will meet March 5 at 7 pm in
Meeting Room B of the Hancock County Public Library
(http://www.hancockpub.lib.in.us). Thomas Hamm will speak on Quakers.

Jackson County:

-- The Jackson County Genealogical Society
(http://www.rootsweb.com/~injackso/resources/gensoc.htm) will meet March 13
at 7 pm at the society's office (415 1/2 South Poplar St., Brownstown IN
47220).

LaPorte County:

-- The LaPorte County, Indiana Genealogical Society
(http://www.rootsweb.com/~inlcigs/) will meet March 13 at 7 pm at the
Swanson Activity Center for Older Adults (910 State St., La Porte IN).
Patricia Gruse Harris will present a program, "How Can I Find My Female
Ancestor's Maiden Name?"

Marion County:

-- The Genealogical Society of Marion County
(http://www.rootsweb.com/~ingsmc/) will meet March 10 at 11 am in the Crown
Hill Cemetery Waiting Station (West 34th Street and Boulevard Place,
Indianapolis IN). Ron Darrah will speak on "Occupational and Business
Records."

Scott County:

-- The Scott County Genealogical Society (http://www.scgsi.com) will meet
March 1 at 6:30 pm at the Heritage Center and Museum (1050 S. Main St.,
Scottsburg IN). Bob Rhude will present a program on the Civil War.

Vigo County:

-- The Wabash Valley Genealogy Society (http://www.inwvgs.org) will meet
March 12 from 6:30 to 8:30 pm in the Vigo County Public Library. Lenny
Snyder from the Highland Lawn Cemetery in Terre Haute will present a program
on "Finding and Using Cemetery Records."

13) QUERIES

If you would like to have a query posted, please e-mail
with the details (i.e. names, places, and
dates/timeframe) of the Indiana connection. Membership in the Indiana
Genealogical Society is not required to post a query--just include your full
name and e-mail address. Queries that include a postal address will also be
published in the IGS Newsletter, which is sent to IGS members.

TAYLOR-I'm searching for information on my great-great-great-grandfather,
Wilson TAYLOR. He was born in 1793 in Tennessee and died July 11, 1851 in
Floyd County, Indiana. I believe he is buried in the National Cemetery in
New Albany, Floyd County, Indiana. He married Elizabeth STROUD on May 7,
1818 in Harrison County, Indiana.

Does anyone know where in Tennessee he was from, who his parents were, or
any other info about him?

Pat;

THOMPSON/ENSMINGER-Seeking to learn the parents and maiden name of widow
Mary THOMPSON (born about 1817 in Ohio) who married Andrew ENSMINGER (born
about 1799 in Virginia) on July 4, 1847 in Shelby County, Indiana. Mary
Thompson was the mother of:

--Mary Ann Thompson (born 1838 in Indiana)-married William David JEFFREY in
Rush County, Indiana in 1854.

--Olive Jane Thompson (born 1840 in Indiana)

--William Henry Thompson (born 1842 in Indiana)

I am seeking to learn the name and parentage of these Thompson children's
father. These children are listed in the 1850 census for Rush County in the
household of Andrew and Mary Ensminger, and are erroneously listed as having
Ensminger as their last name.

Nancy Schonemann, 13505 Jackie Ln., St. Joseph MO 64505;

JEFFREY-I would like to exchange information on any JEFFREY family in Rush
and Shelby counties in Indiana. I am seeking to find the parents of William
David Jeffrey who married Mary Ann THOMPSON (born 1838 in Indiana) in Rush
County, Indiana in 1854. He died in Rush County in 1856.

Nancy Schonemann, 13505 Jackie Ln., St. Joseph MO 64505;

McKINNEY-I would like to exchange information on any McKINNEY family in Rush
and Shelby counties in Indiana. I would like to know more about the Mary
McKinney who married a William THOMPSON on August 20, 1834 in Shelby County.
I would like to prove or disprove whether this Mary (McKinney) Thompson is
the same as the widow Mary Thompson who married Andrew Ensminger on July 4,
1847 in Shelby County.

Nancy Schonemann, 13505 Jackie Ln., St. Joseph MO 64505;

GEER/RINEHART--Searching for information on James Henderson GEER (born
November 4, 1878 in Johnstown, Pennsylvania; died June 29, 1941 in Gary,
Lake County, Indiana). He moved to Gary, Indiana sometime before 1920 and
lived there until his death on June 29, 1941 (he appears on the 1920 and
1930 censuses there). He worked as a machinist foreman at the Carnegie
Steel Works and lived at 108 West 4th Avenue in Gary at the time of his
death. He is buried in Calumet Park Cemetery. I am seeking information on
his first marriage to Josephine E. RINEHART (born about 1891 in Indiana).
James and Josephine had a daughter, Joann (or Josephine?) R. Geer, who was
born March 1, 1919 in Lake County, Indiana. They were divorced sometime
between 1920-1930. His second marriage, to Katherine ??, occurred sometime
after 1930-they were married at the time of his death. Both marriages and
the divorce occurred in Indiana. I am interested to learn if James had any
children by his second wife. Any help is much appreciated!

Audrey Geer Masalehdan, 3812 Penn Ave., Pittsburgh PA 15201;

BELL/GREEN-Searching for information on the parents of Elijah BELL (born
about 1798 in Virginia; died after 1860 in Indiana) and Susan GREEN (born
1798 in Kentucky; died after 1850 in Indiana). Elijah was a brickmason and
their children included:

--Hiram (born about 1835 in Indiana)

--Mary (born about 1837 in Indiana)

--Melvin (born about 1839 in Indiana)

--Elizabeth (born about 1841 in Indiana)

--Elisa G. (born about 1845 in Indiana)

Most of their children were born in Lawrence Township, Marion County,
Indiana. Elijah and Susan were my great-great-grandparents.

Marilyn Holman;

MELTON-Searching for information on the ancestors of William G. MELTON, who
was born in 1839 in Orange County, Indiana. He moved to Hutton Township,
Coles County, Illinois and married Effa WEAVER (born about 1843 in Illinois)
on December 24, 1859. William and Effa had a son, Franklin Melton (born
about 1861 in Illinois), as well as other children. Is this William the same
as William Melton, son of John A. Melton (born about 1816 in Indiana) and
Mary "Polly" GREGORY (born about 1815 in Kentucky), who were married
December 30, 1832 in Orange County, Indiana?

John Melton and family are in the 1850 census in Greenfield Township, Orange
County, Indiana and in the 1860 census in Hutton Township, Coles County,
Illinois. John and Polly had several children:

--James H. (born about 1834 in Indiana)

--Nancy J. (born about 1837 in Indiana)

--William (born about 1839 in Indiana)

--Jesse R. (born about 1841 in Indiana)

--Frances (born about 1843 in Indiana)

--Elizabeth (born about 1845 in Indiana)

--Alfred (born about 1848 in Indiana)

--Mary J. (born about 1853 in Indiana)

--Cynthia A. (born about 1855 in Indiana)

Randy White;

MEADOWS/HATCHETT-Seeking descendants of the family of Harvey Longland
MEADOWS (born about 1825 in England; died May 1, 1882 in Evansville,
Vanderburgh County, Indiana; buried at Oak Hill Cemetery in Evansville). He
emigrated from Warboys, Huntingdonshire, England to Evansville, Indiana in
1854. Harvey was a cashier for the Merchants National Bank in Evansville
and he married 1) Jemima W. (born about 1830 in England; died November 9,
1867; buried at Oak Hill Cemetery in Evansville) and had children:

--Willis J. (born about 1857 in England; died February 19, 1936 in
Evansville; buried at Oak Hill Cemetery in Evansville)

--Emily S. (born about 1860 in Indiana; died October 31, 1938 in Evansville;
buried at Oak Hill Cemetery in Evansville)

Harvey married 2) in 1872 to Cornelia HATCHETT (born September 1841 in
Kentucky; died July 23, 1930 in Evansville; buried at Oak Hill Cemetery in
Evansville), who was the daughter of Captain John A. Hatchett of the
Confederate Army. Harvey and Cornelia had a son, Harvey H. Meadows (born
March 1872 in Indiana), who was in the 1900 census in Atlanta, Fulton
County, Georgia.

I am not related to this family but I have diaries written by H.L. Meadows
plus news cuttings and family photographs that were shipped back to England
following his death, and I would be delighted if I could find a member of
this family.

David Claxton, 49 Rock Road, Oundle, Peterborough, PE8 4LN, England;

PORTER/FOX-Searching for information on the families of Jared PORTER (born
about 1820 in Indiana; died 1906) and Anna FOX (born 1818 in Indiana or
possibly in Germany; died after 1860), who were married April 2, 1840 in
Decatur County, Indiana. They were in the 1850 census in Jackson Township,
Decatur County, Indiana, and in the 1860 census in Gentry County, Missouri.
Jared and Anna had children:

--Nathaniel (born about 1842 in Indiana)

--Nancy (born about 1843 in Indiana)

--John (born about 1845 in Indiana)

--Ann (born about 1847 in Indiana)

--?Tower? (female; born about 1849 in Indiana)

--Joseph "Joe" (born about 1850 in Indiana)

--James "Jim" (born 1854 in Indiana)-he was my ancestor.

--Mary (born about 1857 in Iowa)

--Isaac "Ike" (no information)

By 1865 Jared had moved to Iowa and married Hannah (Kegg) Johnson. I do not
know if Anna died or if they were divorced.

While the lives of Jared and Hannah's children are well documented, I
haven't been able to find information about Jared's first wife Anna or their
children, with the exception of my ancestor James. I'm wondering if there
is any information about Jared Porter or Anna Fox before their marriage or
anyone knows what happened to the rest of their children.

Torie Kloppenborg;

VEATCH/DAVIS-Searching for information on the families of Indiana VEATCH
(born 16 July 1814 in Harrison County, Indiana; died 1882 in Illinois) and
Jacob DAVIS (born 1808 in Ohio; died 1887 in Illinois). They supposedly
married 29 December 1832 in Harrison County-I am searching for their
marriage license or bond. They moved to Sullivan County, Indiana after
1846, then to Livingston County, Illinois before 1860.

Jacob Davis was a farmer and his father was supposedly also named Jacob
Davis. Indiana Veatch was the daughter of Elijah Veatch and Sarah "Sally"
DANNER, who married December 24, 1816 in Harrison County, Indiana. Elijah
was a pioneer Baptist preacher in Indiana until 1835, when he moved to
Illinois. Elijah was the son of Nathan Veatch (a Revolutionary War soldier
buried in Little Flock Cemetery) and Elizabeth CRAIG.

Darlene McNeelis;

BELL/ADAMS--Searching for information about my great-grandparents, George
BELL (born 8 September 1840/1841 in Ohio, possibly Marietta, Washington
County, Ohio; died 4 September 1918 in Leavenworth, Kansas) and Mary Jane
ADAMS (born about 1858 in Indiana; may have been a schoolteacher). They
married 16 December 1875 in Greene County, Indiana and had children:

--James Roland (Rolland) Bell--born 16 September 1876 in Worthington, Greene
County, Indiana; died 16 March 1956 in Pasadena, Texas (my grandfather). He
married Ellen HENDERSON (born 30 April 1877 in Seaton Burn, Northumberland,
England; died 7 February 1948 in Guthrie, Logan County, Oklahoma) on 21
November 1897 in Lehigh, Indian Territory. James (Jim) was a coal miner, and
they raised their 9 children in Oklahoma, moving from one coal camp to
another.

--Bertha Mae Bell--born 30 March 1878 in Indiana; died about 1896 in
Washington Territory

George and Mary Jane Bell can be found on the 1880 census in Earlham,
Madison County, Iowa.

George married second Birdie HUBBLE (born about 1885 in Arkansas; died
between 1910 and 1918 in Oklahoma) on 24 February 1901 in Greenwood,
Sebastian County, Arkansas. George and Birdie Bell can be found on the 1910
census in Bokoshe, Leflore County, Oklahoma. George and Birdie had one
daughter, Alma Bell (born 8 April 1902 in Arkansas; died 10 August 1903 in
Arkansas; buried in Hartford, Sebastian County, Arkansas).

George Bell served with the Union Army during the Civil War. He enlisted in
Company E, 3rd Calvary Regiment Kentucky in November 1861 and mustered out
in December 1864. A widower and suffering with cancer, he lived (after 1910)
in the Old Soldier's Home in Leavenworth, Kansas until his death and is
buried in the Fort Leavenworth National Cemetery. George's parents were
George Bell, Sr. (born in England) and Ann (Mary Ann?) (born in England).

George and George, Sr. were both coal miners, the family coming to the
United States before 1840. George moved to Indian Territory (now Oklahoma)
before 1900, and his son James Roland Bell came with him. I have been told
that George's wife Mary Jane remained in Indiana--I do not know if she died
or they were divorced. He was also known to live in Arkansas.

I have located a BELL family that could possibly be the correct family, but
do not have positive proof: George BELL (born about 1806 in England) and
wife Mary Ann (born about 1813 in England) were living in Upper Township,
Lawrence County, Ohio for the 1850 census. There is a tax record for George
Bell at the same location in 1851. He gave permission for his daughter
Margarett Bell to marry Robert HARLAN in November 1857 in Hawesville,
Hancock County, Kentucky. This family was living in Mt. Pleasant, Ohio
County, Kentucky for the 1860 census. According to census records, their
children were:

--Margarett Bell (born about 1833 in England)

--Betsy Bell (born about 1835 in England)

--William Bell (born about 1836 in England)

--John Bell (born about 1838 in England)

--Anna Bell (born about 1839 in Ohio)

--George Bell (born about 1841 in Ohio)

--Wilson Bell (born about 1843 in Ohio)

--James W. Bell (born about 1848 in Ohio)

--Stephen T. Bell (born about 1848 in Ohio)

--Hannah Bell (born about 1850 in Ohio)

I would appreciate any information about Mary Jane Adams' birth, parents,
place of birth, confirmation and date of death, etc. I would also like to
have some proof that the above George Bell family is linked to mine, and any
pertinent information about them. I know that my great-grandfather George
Bell had brothers, and I suspect that one or more of them may have traveled
with him to Indiana, as it was the custom for relatives to travel and
relocate together. There is a long history of coal mining in the family,
dating back to England, so his brothers were probably coal miners, too.

Shirley Hood;

O'BRIEN-I am seeking information about my great-great-grandparents, James
O'BRIEN (born about 1835 in Ireland; died after 1870; buried at ?Calvary
Cemetery?) and Johanna MANNASY or MAHONEY (born about 1830 in Ireland; died
after 1870). They were married in 1856 in Connersville, Fayette County,
Indiana and settled in Richland Township, Rush County, Indiana, where they
were found in the 1860 and 1870 censuses. James served in Company K of the
37th Indiana Volunteers during the Civil War and operated a
wagonmaking/carpentry business with his son Thomas E. (born about April
1860), who worked with harnesses.

Thomas was married to Nancy I. ROBESON and they had two children, Alpha
(born December 1890) and James Emmett O'Brien (my grandfather). Nancy died
at age 30 of consumption, but I've not been able to trace Thomas after that
point. In the 1900 census, Alpha and James E. are living with different
families.

Any help would be appreciated-my ultimate goal is to trace James and Johanna
back to their birthplaces in Ireland.

Rick O'Brien;

POLSON/POLSEN--I am seeking information on the parents of Clementine
"Clemmie" POLSON or POLSEN. She was born in Fairfield, Howard County,
Indiana on November 14, 1854 and died March 21, 1923 in Howard County,
Indiana. In the census, it says her father was born in Indiana and her
mother in Kentucky.

Clementine married Thomas FLYNN on July 28, 1868 in Kokomo, Howard County.

Beryl Flynn;

McMAHAN/BIRD--Seeking additional info on family of Joseph McMAHAN which
might lead to positive identification of his parents, his birthplace, and
his brothers and sisters. Joseph is my great-great-grandfather. He was
born about 1 April 1791 in Pennsylvania (possibly in Allegheny County) and
married Rachel BIRD on 21 March 1822 in Ross County, Ohio. He died 29
August 1850 and buried in Zion Cemetery in Carroll County, Indiana. He
lived in Fairfield Township, Tippecanoe County, Indiana for several years
before he bought land in Carroll County in 1846.

Joseph is in: the 1830 census in Scioto Township, Ross County, Ohio next to
a Robert McMahan (whom I believe to be my great-great-great-grandfather);
the 1840 census in Fairfield Township, Tippecanoe County, Indiana; and the
1850 census in Carroll County, Indiana. I believe Robert McMahan is the
father of Joseph and that Joseph was living in Robert's household in the
1820 census in Bainbridge Township, Ross County, Ohio. I also believe
Robert was living with Joseph in Indiana at the time of the 1840 census, but
have no proof.

I am also looking for birth and family information on Rachel BIRD. She is
my great-great-grandmother. Rachel was born about 12 September 1804 (in
Pennsylvania according to all census reports). She died 14 November 1888
and is buried in Zion Cemetery in Carroll County, Indiana. Her father's
name may have been Ralph.

I believe she is included in Joseph's household in the 1830 census in Ross
County, Ohio and the 1840 census in Fairfield Township, Tippecanoe County,
Indiana. She appears under her own name in the 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
censuses in Indiana.

Joseph & Rachel McMahan had children:

--William (married Susan Ball)

--Robert (my great-grandfather--married Martha White)

--Benjamin (married Sarah ?)

--Mary Ann (married Joshua Ball)

--Elizabeth (married Albert Woodington)

--Margaret (married William Lewis)

--Sarah (married Jasper N. Stevenson)

--Ralph

--Rachel (married Ephriam F. Schaeffer)

--Catherine

William, Robert, Benjamin, Mary Ann, Elizabeth and Margaret were born in
Ohio; Sarah, Ralph, Rachel and Catherine were born in Carroll County,
Indiana.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who might have any possible info on
the extended McMahan family.

Barbara McMahan Munn, 38309 Golfview Dr., Farmington Hills MI 48331;

McMAHAN/McMAHON-- Seeking information on Robert McMAHAN who was born 31 Aug
1761 in Bedford, Pennsylvania. He lived in Ross County, Ohio from
1800-1835. He appears in the 1820 census in Ross County with 7 children.
In the 1830 census, he is still in Ross County and is listed next to a
Joseph McMahan. Sometime between 1835 and 1840 I think he possibly moved to
Fairfield Township, Tippecanoe County, Indiana to live with his son, Joseph.
The 1840 Tippecanoe County census shows a man of Robert's age living in
Joseph's household.

Does anyone have any knowledge of cemetery or death records for a Robert
McMahan in Fairfield Township, Tippecanoe County, Indiana between 1835 and
1850? He would have been between the ages of 74 to 89.

I believe Robert is my great-great-great-grandfather and that Joseph (my
great-great-grandfather) is his son, although I have no definitive proof.

Barbara McMahan Munn, 38309 Golfview Dr., Farmington Hills MI 48331;

RYAN/MAHER--I am looking for information on Stephen RYAN (born April 1848 in
Tipperary, Ireland; died July 10, 1916 in Craighead County, Arkansas). He
supposedly emigrated to the United States around 1868. He married Catherine
MAHER (born August 1854 in Indiana; died December 14, 1937 in Craighead
County, Arkansas) on November 9, 1876 in Daviess County, Indiana. They
moved from Daviess County, Indiana to Craighead, Arkansas sometime between
1900 and 1910.

Catherine's parents were John Maher (born about 1820 in Ireland) and Mary
LANCE (born about 1826 in Ireland; died about 1882).

I have the information regarding Stephen and Catherine's children and other
descendants, but I know little of Stephen and Catherine themselves and their
ancestors. Can anyone help?

Carol Cannon;

HUDSON/HUTSON-Seeking information on Andrew HUDSON or HUTSON (born 1798 in
North Carolina; died 1882). He married Rachel GIPSON (born about 1807 in
Kentucky) on October 7, 1841 in Boone County, Indiana and they were in
Jackson Township, Boone County beginning with the 1850 census. Is he the
same Andrew Hudson who is in Bartholomew County, Indiana for the 1840
census?

Andrew and Rachel had children:

--Nancy (born ca. 1843)

--Isaac (born ca. 1845)

Andrew also had a son, Thomas Jefferson Hudson (1839-1923), perhaps from a
previous marriage? Thomas became a U.S. Congressman (from Kansas) but,
curiously, none of his biographies mentions the names of his parents. Any
help would be appreciated.

James D. Allen;

CROUCH-Seeking information on Sanford CROUCH (born 1800 in Washington
County, Tennessee) who was appointed Postmaster of Stilesville, Hendricks
County, Indiana in 1832. He purchased 40 acres of land 24 July 1832 in
Franklin Township, Hendricks County (Township 14 North, Range 2 West). He
also purchased 80 acres on 2 November 1832 in the same vicinity. William
Shipley, an in-law of Sanford's, purchased 80 acres in Franklin Township,
Hendricks County on March 20, 1830. Sanford Crouch subsequently moved to
Colchester, McDonough County, Illinois.

Sanford married Elizabeth BEAN in 1822 in Washington County, Tennessee and
they had children:

--Elizabeth

--Jerial

--Joseph

--Edmund Bean

--John Sanford

--George William

Evelyn Naranjo, 4709 Rams Head Ct., Rockville MD 20853;

JENKINSON-I am looking for the maiden name of Joseph JENKINSON'S wife,
Elizabeth J. (born November 1845 in Indiana; died September 2, 1904 in
Delaware County, Indiana; buried in Union Church Cemetery, Desoto, Delaware
County). Joseph was born July 1833 in Ohio and died April 29, 1913 in
Liberty Township, Delaware County, Indiana and is buried in Union Church
Cemetery, Desoto, Delaware County. They were supposedly married on November
19, 1857 in Randolph County, Indiana. They were in the 1860 census in Allen
Township, Darke County, Ohio, then settled in Liberty Township, Delaware
County, Indiana by the 1870 census.

Joseph and Elizabeth Jenkinson had children:

--George R. (born about 1859 in Ohio)

--Lewis A. (born about June 1860 in Ohio)

--Levi (born about 1863 in Ohio)

--Josiah (born about 1864 in Indiana)

--Sela C. (born about 1866 in Indiana)

Any information greatly appreciated!

Ann Jensen, 1632 6 St. NW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2M-3E8;

BOHLER/BOLER--I am looking for birth information for William BOHLER (born
1880 in Rockport, Spencer County, Indiana; died 1952). He was the son of
Harmon (or Hommon) Bohler, who was born 1858 in Owensboro, Daviess County,
Kentucky and died September 29, 1917 in Brazil, Clay County, Indiana.
Harmon Bohler was married 3 times: 1) to Martha "Mattie" HOTCHKISS on July
27, 1880 in Spencer County, Indiana; 2) to Susan SMITH on April 3, 1904 in
Spencer County, Indiana; 3) to Ida Kellums NICHOLSON on April 24, 1917 in
Clay County, Indiana.

William Bohler married Emma PHELPS (born November 1886 in Terre Haute, Vigo
County, Indiana; died 1921) in 1907 and they had children:

--Elizabeth Helen "Honey" (born November 30, 1907 in Vigo County, Indiana;
died 1968)-she married Billy EBERT

--Velda May (1910-1992)-she married Nelson POUPARD

--Cecil Woodrow "Slim" (born 1913)-he married Virginia HARMON

--Norma Jean (born 1915)-she married Percy STEELE and may have died from
tuberculosis

--Albert Wilson "Jack" (1920-1981)-he married Nadine BARTLETT

Harmon Bohler had other children:

--Elizabeth (born February 25, 1882 in Spencer County)-she married Phillip
MYERS

--David (born June 8, 1884 in Spencer County)

--Amelia (born September 1885 in Indiana)-she married J.C. GOODMAN

Harmon was the son of Ferdinand Bohler (born about 1835 in Baden; died after
1880) and Catherine (born 1832-1842 in Baden or New York; died after 1880).
Ferdinand was in the 1860 census in Daviess County, Kentucky and the 1870
and 1880 censuses in Spencer County, Indiana. Ferdinand and Catherine
Bohler had other children: Ferdinand M. (born about 1858 in Kentucky) and
William (born about 1869 in Indiana).

I would also love information on Harmon or Ferdinand Bohler or any other
descendants of this family. See my website
http://groups.msn.com/AFamilyTree for more information.

Jackie Bohler-Briggs, 920 Fairyland Ave., Jackson MI 49202;

14) IGS CONFERENCE IN FORT WAYNE

The Indiana Genealogical Society's annual conference will be held Saturday,
April 28, 2007 at the Allen County Public Library
(http://www.acpl.lib.in.us) in Fort Wayne. The conference will be one of
the first major events held in the library since its grand re-opening on
January 27. Amy Johnson Crow, CG will be speaking on finding female
ancestors; applying to a lineage society; finding ancestors before 1850, and
using cemetery records.

There will also be a special 2-part lecture about researching families and
the Civil War. The Society of Civil War Families of Indiana will have a
special ceremony at the conference to induct their charter members.

Attendees should plan on arriving early for the weekend, as the library will
have extended hours (6 pm to midnight) on Friday, April 27. Conference
registration is $25 for Indiana Genealogical Society members, $30 for
non-members (or $35 at the door). To register, or to see the full schedule
of events, visit http://www.indgensoc.org/conference.html

15) CONTRIBUTE TO "ONCE A HOOSIER"

"Once A Hoosier" is the Indiana Genealogical Society's ongoing project to
record the details of people who were in Indiana and moved on to other
states. As the state motto, "The Crossroads of America," suggests, Indiana
was home to many different groups of people, so chances are you have a
connection to Indiana (especially if you've subscribed to this newsletter!).

If your ancestor was born before 1930, spent some time in Indiana, and died
in another state, we'd love to know about them. Submissions are currently
being accepted for Volume III. Please take a minute to fill out our "Once A
Hoosier" submission form at http://www.indgensoc.org/projects/OAHform.pdf

"Once A Hoosier" Volume II is available on CD. It is available for purchase
at http://www.indgensoc.org/shop.html

16) SOCIETY OF CIVIL WAR FAMILIES OF INDIANA

The Society of Civil War Families of Indiana (SCWFI) is a lineage society
and subsidiary of the Indiana Genealogical Society. The SCWFI honors IGS
members who can establish that they are direct descendants of someone who
served in an Indiana unit during the Civil War, or who was a resident of
Indiana at the time they served in a non-Indiana Civil War unit.
Applications for membership must be received by December 31 of each year for
review. Each year's new members will be inducted at a ceremony during the
IGS annual conference. For more information on the SCWFI, including some
information on doing Civil War research, go to
http://www.indgensoc.org/SCWFI.html

17) HOW TO JOIN IGS

Membership in the Indiana Genealogical Society runs from January 1 to
December 31 of each year. Dues are $30 for individuals and organizations
(joint membership is $35). Membership includes a complimentary subscription
to our newsletter and quarterly, along with discounts on IGS conferences and
special publications. Memberships can be purchased at
http://www.indgensoc.org/membership.html

18) INSTRUCTIONS FOR UNSUBSCRIBING

You are subscribed to IN-GENSOC-NEWS, the electronic newsletter published by
the Indiana Genealogical Society for all those interested in Indiana
genealogy. To unsubscribe, send a message to
with only the word unsubscribe in the
body of your message. For technical assistance, please contact

Permission is granted to reprint items from this issue. Reprints must
contain this citation: "Originally published in Volume 4, Issue 2 of
IN-GENSOC-NEWS, copyright 2007 by the Indiana Genealogical Society."

This thread: