IOWA-L Archives

Archiver > IOWA > 2005-03 > 1109692388

From: Rich Lowe <>
Subject: **New** IOWA WPA Grave Registration Survey Database
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 09:53:08 -0600

We are pleased to introduce a new exciting tool for the IAGenWeb Project
and, most importantly, for those of you researching ancestors in Iowa.

Most everyone is familiar with the WPA Grave Registration Survey that was
completed in the late 1930s in more than seventy of Iowa’s 99 counties.
This large database, though it contains some errors and omissions, is one
of genealogy’s greatest resources for early burials containing information
on many gravestones that don't even exist today.

The Iowa WPA Gravestone Registration Survey Online database, when
completed, will blend every Iowa county into a single database and, like
all IAGenWeb project resources, will provide **free access** to that data.
It will be searchable by county, or by a state-wide search. Soundex
features have been built into it as well. See:

http://iowaWPAgraves.com

We already have 20 counties loaded in the database, in full or in part, and
more on the way. If we were to reach 100% of the available counties, we
estimate the total records could total upwards of ¾ million burials.

We still have some finishing touches to do to the web site but we wanted to
invite you to take a look and get acquainted with its features. There's
lots of work to be done getting the data transcribed. We'll need dozens and
dozens of volunteers, perhaps several from a county teaming up in some
cases. If you would be interested in helping, please see the "Volunteer"
section on the web site for further details.

Rich Lowe
Iowa WPA Graves Registration Survey
http://iowaWPAgraves.com
Iowa Gravestone Photo Project