KYCLAY-L Archives

Archiver > KYCLAY > 1999-02 > 0919712543

From: "Jack O'Bryan" <>
Subject: Re: [KYCLAY-L] Richard Davis and Elizabeth Preston
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 12:42:23 -0700

Sherry wrote:

> Hi does anyone know where Richard Davis and Elizabeth Preston were
> from? They were the parents of Sally and Mary (Nancy) Davis wives of
> Dillion Asher. Did they ever live in Clay county to anyone's knowledge?
>
> The time period I am talking about would have been in the early 1800's
> or before. I didn't see their names on the earliest Clay census' and
> was wondering if the Davis sisters came from somewhere else.

> Clay Co. Historical Society:
> http://members.tripod.com/~Sue_1/clay.html
> Clay Co. GenWeb Page - Maintained by Tim Spence: http://www.rootsweb.com/kyclay/clay.html
Richard Davis born August 17, 1740 died 1815 came to Kentucky from VA
about 1795 and lived near the present city of Middlesboro KY. He
operated a tavern at this location during the migration through the
Cumberland Gap. Richard Davis became one of the wealthiest men in Knox
Co at that time.. He was the great-uncle of Jefferson Davis who was
closely associated with Daniel Boone.. Richard married Elizabeth Preston
and they had 6 daughters and one son..
Polly, Nancy b. 1775 in VA died after 1860 and wife to Dillion Asher,
Patsy, Sarah (Sally) born 1787 in VA (my ancestor), Betsy, Susan and
Preston.. As the story goes and according to Dillon Asher's will both
his children by Nancy and Sally are his .. Wanda Powell OBryan

This thread: