KYHARLAN-L Archives

Archiver > KYHARLAN > 2000-07 > 0964618617

From: "David Hoskins" <>
Subject: Re: [KYHARLAN-L] Howard Turner Feud
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 08:36:57 -0500

The information on the Howard-Turner Feud posted yesterday, generated
several messages of interest. I thought I would type up the article referred
to from the 1993 Kentucky Explorer article. It covers 7 feuds in all but I
will limit it to three that occurred in Harlan, Bell and Clay Counties plus
the introduction. I will post it in four parts since it is rather lengthy.
Part One
The Kentucky Explorer - October, 1993
The Story of Kentucky's Great Family Feuds
Kentucky Suffered Through More Feuds Than Any Other Place In USA
By Harley Davis and Clifford Smythe;
Munsey's Magazine - November 1903

A region of the United States in which bloodshed is a pastime and cruel and
cowardly murder goes unpunished - the terrible story of the seven great
Kentucky feuds.

The Land of Feuds has gained its name through wholesale murder.
Assassination is its pastime and its passion. It may be termed a relic of
medievalism upon which have been grafted the atrocities of modern ward
politics; and the hybrid is a horrible thing.

The Land of the Feuds has definite geographical limits. It lies in the heart
of the Appalachian Mountains, where the boundaries of four states -
Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia - meet or approach. But its
darkest region is in Kentucky; nineteen southeastern counties of the State,
about the head waters of four rivers, the Cumberland, the Kentucky, the
Licking, and the Big Sandy. Here is a land untouched by railroad or
telegraph, for the most part; a savage, primeval country, where have
developed those fierce and terrible family wars, the American feuds, beside
which the Italian vendetta is a childish thing, almost humane in comparison.

As one studies the history of the seven greatest of the Kentucky feuds -
for, like the stars, they differ in magnitude - one finds only the sickening
story of bloodshed told over and over again, the cowardly attack from
behind, the shooting of unarmed men. They vary only in details of horror.
Not one single deed of chivalry, not one act of generosity, not one ray of
nobility or unselfishness, not even a suggestion of fair play, illuminates
the blackness of the tales. Among these people the lust for human blood has
become a malignant disease.

The seven great Kentucky feuds have resulted in some two hundred and fifty
murders, and legal justice has claimed but two lives in retribution. One was
a half-witted youth, Ellison Mounts, who was legally hanged for complicity
in the Hatfield raids in Pike County. The other, Dr. Baker, was hanged by
the court in defiance of the constitution of the United States, for he was
once legally acquitted of the killing for which he was afterwards executed.

Human life is the cheapest thing in the Land of Feuds, yet the Land of Feuds
has its own code of ethics. The stranger within it is safer than in New
York, if he be careful to avoid taking sides, and to show that he has no
inquisitive interest in moonshine distilleries. Also his property is sacred.
He will be received with a hospitality as genuine as it is enthusiastic. But
let him abstain from making enemies. The mountaineer host who slept on the
floor so that the visitor might have his bed, and refused any payment, will
calmly waylay and kill that same visitor later in the day for twenty dollars
or less. There are hundreds of men in the Land of Feuds who can be hired for
two dollars a day to lie out in the open for three months, if necessary, to
kill any one pointed out to them - providing, of course, that the victim
does not belong to their clan.

The Land of Feuds invokes the statutes of the commonwealth of Kentucky when
it can make use of them; and they become majestic, stern, omnipotent. When
these same statutes cross its will, they are pushed aside as meaningless
trifles. The Land of Feuds exemplifies the theory that law is the
crystallized sentiment of a community.

David
http://users.ev1.net/~dhoskins Kentucky Kinfolk
Genealogies for Hoskins, Miracle, Green, Wilson, Arnett, and Thompson
Families of SE Kentucky