KYLAUREL-L Archives

Archiver > KYLAUREL > 2004-11 > 1099723891

From: "ROATEN E HINSON, JR." <>
Subject: Families of Early 1800's Clay Co KY (1820 Clay Co KY Census)
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 22:51:31 -0800

GREETINGS. CAN ANYBODY ADD ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON THE FAMILY LINES
MENTIONED 1820 CLAY CO KY CENSUS? I found the following information on the
internet ...

"George and Bartlet Rogers are on the 1820 Clay CO KY census page 115. I
believe they have some kind of connection to William Burns and sons Brice &
Lavina Rogers, Andrew Burns & Nancy Baker, John Burns on this census page.
Others on the 1820 Clay CO KY census page 115-
a George Rogers listed marr. 1818 Clay CO KY to Caty Wild, John Davidson a
son of Daniel Davidson & Margaret Cope Miller on this page, Edward Gabbard
marr. Sarah Bowman 1817 Clay, Jacob Gabbard marr. Susan Bowman 1818 on this
page, Ezekiel Parish listed next to Bartlet Rogers , Philip Wilson and John
Montgomery listed next to George Rogers, James Hodge marr. Mary Tugman,
George Morris may have married Elizabeth Johnson 1819 Clay CO KY."

Here is my recent response to the above ... maybe someone can add to this
family research information?

"Yes, all of these people of Clay Co KY interconnect by marriage. My George
W Henson line of Laurel Co KY is connected by marriage to the Rogers noted
and alson to the Elkins of Clay Co KY. The Phillip Wilson you mention listed
in the 1820 Clay Co KY Census is married to Christina Rogers, sister of
George and Bartlett Rogers ... the children of George and Elizabeth Rogers
of Buncombe Co NC. I would like to know who the 'Lavina Rogers' you mention
is a daughter of? A known sister of George, Bartlett and Christina Rogers
... is Eleanor 'Leanner' Rogers b abt 1785 NC married to James Elkins of
Clay Co KY (James listed in the 1820 Clay Co KY Census). James Elkins later
showed up living in Laurel Co KY, as did many of the other names you
mentioned. James Elkins became a Constable of the 2nd District in Laurel Co
KY 1826. Later James Elkins, Rogers, Hensons, Metcalfs, Casteel, Black,
McCammon, Forbis, Cromer, and many other Clay/Laurel Co KY families moved,
probably as a wagon train, to Livingston/Grundy Co MO abt 1837 (see 1840
Livingston Co MO Census). Some families returned in the mid 1840's to the
Clay/Laurel Co KY area including my George W Henson of Laurel/Jackson Co KY.
Two of James and Leanner Elkins sons; Jackson Elkins and W.R.D. Elkins
married daughters of George W Henson and Anna Forbis-Henson of Laurel Co KY
while the families were living in Grundy Co MO in the early 1840's. George W
Henson was listed in the household of John Drew and Ibby in the 1850 Laurel
Co KY Census. George was first found listed in the 1828 Laurel Co Ky Tax
List. Please add any information on these families for sharing.
Thanks-a-bunch." 'R.E.'

This thread: