MATTOX-L ArchivesArchiver > MATTOX > 2002-03 > 1016078951
From: "wlschmutz" <>
Subject: [MATTOX] Alexander Maddox born c.1613
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 22:09:26 -0600
Here is some info that I have to share.
Descendants of ALEXANDER MATTOX
Generation No. 1
1. ALEXANDER3 MATTOX (THOMAS2, JOHN1) was born c. 1613 in LONDON, ENGLAND, and died 28 Feb 1659 in NORTHAMPTON CO, VA. He married (1) ELIZABETH 10 Jan 1637 in NORTHAMPTON CO, VA1. She died c. 1649 in NORTHAMPTON CO, VA. He married (2) ELEANOR WHITE c. 1654 in NORTHAMPTON CO, VA, daughter of LEWIS WHITE. She was born c. 1630, and died 17 Nov 1694 in SOMERSET CO, MD.
Notes for ALEXANDER MATTOX:
1. MADDOX FAMILY by J.T. MADDOX
2. WILL OF ALEXANDER MADDOX D 1659...mentions wife Ellinor Mattocks, children, Thomas Alexander my second son;, Lazarus my 3rd son, and Elizabeth Fisher wife of Philip Fisher my eldest daughter, also my daughter Ann Mattocks my second daughter. My sons to be possessed of their estate when eighteen years of age. Son, Thomas sole executor, Richard Mayley guardian of Thomas and Arthur Upshur guardian of Alexander.
3. HISTORY OF OLD SOMERSET OF EAST MD
4. MARTHA M. SMITH 7778 HARPER RD, HIXSON, TN 37343
5. MADDOX FAMILY RECORDS by ROBERTA WILEY
6. OLD SOMERSET ON EASTERN SHORES OF MD by C. TORRENCE
7. HOTTEN EMIGRANTS, PG 138...ALEXANDER MADDOX arrives 1635 age 22 yrs.
8. LDS ANCESTRAL FILE#FNM1-JN
9. DODSON-DOTSON FAMILY OF SW VIRGINIA by S.E. LUCAS
10. TRAILING OUR ANCESTORS by L. McMICHAEL
11. 1500 MADDOX MARRIAGES by JOSEPH T. MADDOX
12. APPEARS IN NORTHAMPTON CO, VA RECORDS BETWEEN 1651-1659.
In 1635, Alexander Mattocks, (1613-1659) arrived in Virginia aboard the ship "Abraham" from London at age 22. He married twice, had six children, owned large tracts of land, had numerous slaves, and died in Northampton County, Virginia. The first really authentic trace we get of Alexander after his arrival is in the records of Northampton Co, VA, where, in March 1651-2, he signed the "engagement to be true to the Commonwealth of England." In Northampton County, February 28, 1652, "Certificate was this date granted to Alexander Madox for 300 acres of land due by the rights of six people he brought into Virginia. The Virginia Land Records at Richmond show that on June 10, 1654, "Alexander Madochs and James Jones were granted 516 acres of land lying in Northampton County at the head of Nassawaddocks Creek, the said land being due unto the said Alexander Madocks and James Jones by and for the transportation of ten persons into this Colony."
Came to Virginia 1635, in ship Abraham,at age 22yrs. After Alexander's
death family moved to Maryland. His Will signed on Jan 10,1659, Probated
Feb 28,1659 devises to sons Thomas, Alexander, Lazarus, Daughters Ann
Mattock and Elizabeth Fisher, Wife of Phillip.
Va Patent Bk#13 Mentions "238 acres part being surplus land within patent granted to Thomas
Leatherbury and Alexander Maddox for 516 acres Oct 20,1661.
At about 46, Alexander died, leaving Ellinor with two small children-- her son Lazerus and stepson Alexander. She inherited a third of her husband's property and the rest was divided among all his children. Oldest boy Thomas had been appointed Executor of Alexander's will. Ellinor married twice more, probably by necessity in those difficult colonial times when the area was little more than virgin forest. A few months after Alexander's death, Ellinor married neighbor William Bosman, a recent widower with five of his own children. The larger family moved to Somerset County Md with her son Lazarus and her stepson Alexander, who was about nine at the time. Elinor was not blessed with husbands of longivity. After Mr. Bosman died, she married James Cain (Caan) of Somerset Md and he too became ill and died in only three years, 1670, leaving Ellinor a widow with children once again. She died in 1692.
Half-brothers Alexander Jr and Lazerus, near each other in age, were apparently very close. They apparently both married around 1677-78. Each named a son for his brother and a daughter for his brother's wife. Other children were named identically.
More About ALEXANDER MATTOX:
ARRIVED USA: 1635, VA ship "ABRAHAM" from London
WILL DATED: 30 Jan 1659, NORTHAMPTON CO, VA
WILL PROVEN: 28 Feb 1659, NORTHAMPTON CO, VA book 7, pg 64
Notes for ELEANOR WHITE:
1. WILL OF ELEANOR CAINE d1694...refers in her will to LAZARUS MADDOX as her only son.
More About ELEANOR WHITE:
WILL DATED: 29 May 1692
WILL PROVEN: 03 Jul 1695, SOMERSET CO, MD, LIBER EK#5, PG 131
Children of ALEXANDER MATTOX and ELIZABETH are:
i. ELIZABETH4 MATTOX, b. c. 1638, NORTHAMPTON CO, VA; m. PHILIP FISHER, Bef. 1659, NORTHAMPTON CO, VA.
ii. ANN MATTOX, b. 1641, NORTHAMPTON CO, VA; d. Aft. 1659.
iii. THOMAS MATTOX, b. 1645, NORTHAMPTON CO, VA; d. 1717, NORTHAMPTON CO, VA; m. (1) SARAH MICHAEL, 1687, NORTHAMPTON CO, VA1; d. 1697, NORTHAMPTON CO, VA; m. (2) REBECCA, 1697, NORTHAMPTON CO, VA1.
iv. ALEXANDER MATTOX, b. c. 1647, NORTHAMPTON CO, VA; d. 1717, POKOMOKE, SOMERSET CO, MD; m. MARY STEVENS, c. 1678, SOMERSET CO, MD; d. 1721, POKOMOKE, SOMERSET CO, MD.
Notes for ALEXANDER MATTOX:
SOMERSET COUNTY JUDICIALS 1692-93 PG 12., AUG 9 1692 "THE DEPOSITION OF ALEXANDER MATTIX AGED THIRTY EIGHT YEARS OR THEREABOUTS".
1. OLD SOMERSET ON THE EASTERN SHORE OF MD by CLAYTON TORRENCE
2. THEY LIVED IN SOMERSET by W. LANKFORD
3. LDS ANCESTRAL FILE #FHK4-G6
4. WILL OF ALEXANDER MADDUX DATED APRIL 10, 1717. ...leaves all his estate, real and personal to his wife Mary, and his son Lazarus. Other children, viz..Thomas, Alexander, Nathaniel, Mary, Elizabeth and Ann received only twelve pence in money.
5. DODSON-DOTSON FAMILY OF SW VIRGINIA by S.E. LUCAS
More About ALEXANDER MATTOX:
WILL DATED: 10 Apr 1717, SOMERSET CO, MD
WILL PROVEN: 14 May 1717, SOMERSET CO, MD, LIBER EB #9, PG 60.
Notes for MARY STEVENS:
1. WILL OF MARY MATTOX D1721
More About MARY STEVENS:
WILL PROVEN: 1721, SOMERSET CO, MD
Child of ALEXANDER MATTOX and ELEANOR WHITE is:
v. LAZARUS4 MATTOX, b. c. 1655, NORTHAMPTON CO, VA; d. c. 19 Mar 1717, MANOKIN, SOMERSET CO, MD; m. SARAH MOUNT, 1674, SOMERSET CO, MD; b. c. 1659, NORTHAMPTON CO, VA; d. Aft. 1717.
Notes for LAZARUS MATTOX:
ARRIVED IN MANOKIN SECTION OF SOMERSET CO, MD FROM NORTHAMPTON CO, VA ABT 1663 WITH MOTHER, ELEANOR AND HER SECOND HUSBAND, WILLIAM BOSMAN.
* * * How can son William b1716 be the son of Sarah, she would have been at least in her 50's at his birth?, supposing that she was no younger than 15 yrs old at her marriage.
LAND DEEDS FOR LAZARUS MATTOX;
JAN 14, 1666/7 patented "MADDOX HOPE" 100 acres.
JUN 20, 1667/8 patented 300 acres "MOTHER'S CARE".
MAR 26, 1709 sold "MOTHER'S CARE" to George Gale.
By 1700 had 1200 acres.
1709 purchased of Thomas Walker, his son-in-law, 700 acres called "WHITEFIELD".
1. WILL OF LAZARUS MATTOX D1716
2. MADDOX FAMILY by J.T. MADDOX
3. OLD SOMERSET ON THE EASTERN SHORE OF MARYLAND by CLAYTON TORRENCE
4. THIRTY FOUR FAMILIES OF OLD SOMERSET CO, MD by WOODROW T. WILSON 
5. THEY LIVED IN SOMERSET by W. LANKFORD
6. PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORDS OF EASTERN SHORE OF MD
7. DODSON-DOTSON FAMILY OF SW VIRGINIA by S.E. LUCAS 
8. HOTTEN'S LIST OF EARLY EMIGRANTS TO AMERICA, pg 138
9. COURT ORDERS BOOK 4. PG 160., NORTHAMPTON CO, VA.
10. JENNINGS C. WISE, EARLY HISTORY OF THE EASTER SHORE OF VA, PGS 136, 137.
11. VIRGINIA LAND RECORDS, RICHMOND, BOOK 3, PG 12.
12. SOMERSET COUNTY JUDICIALS, 1692-93, PG 12,
13. NORTHAMPTON CO, VA, MARRIAGE BONDS, BK 7, PG 92.
14. NORTHAMPTON CO, BK 7, PG 88.
15. SOMERSET CO, BK 3 B No 5, PG 133,
16. NORTHAMPTON CO, RECORDS, VOL 13, PG 419-20-21.
17. WILL OF JAMES CAINE, ANNAPOLIS. VOL 1. PG 390.
18. WILL OF MARY FOUNTAIN D1743.
19. TRAILING OUR ANCESTORS by L. McMICHAEL
More About LAZARUS MATTOX:
Occupation: MEMBER OF LOWER HOUSE 1692-3
WILL DATED: 18 Jan 1716, SOMERSET CO, MD
WILL PROVEN: 19 Mar 1716, SOMERSET CO, MD
|[MATTOX] Alexander Maddox born c.1613 by "wlschmutz" <>|