MOHOWARD-L Archives

Archiver > MOHOWARD > 2000-04 > 0955458740

From: Sherryl Barger <>
Subject: {not a subscriber} [MOHOWARD-L] Re: Peytons in Howard Co (fwd)
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 08:12:20 -0500 (CDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 13:41:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: Harold Davey <>
To: Marilyn Newton <>,
Subject: {not a subscriber} [MOHOWARD-L] Re: Peytons in Howard Co

Marilyn,
Henry Peyton who m. Ann Grigsby was the son of Henry and Elizabeth (Bronaugh)
Peyton. Henry, Sr. was b. abt 1765 in Stafford or FauquierCo, VA; d. Nov 1847,
ClarkeCo, MO. This Henry was the son of Henry Peyton, b. abt 1765, Stafford or
FauquierCo, VA; wd 7 Dec 1814, wp 27 Feb 1815, FauquierCo, and Susanna Fowke. This
Henry was the son of John Peyton, b. 1691, VA; d. 18 May 1760., StaffordCo, VA; wd
March 1760, wp 11 June 1760, StaffordCo, VA; Burgess 1736-40, 1757-58; Justice 1745
and Anne (Waye) Young. John was the son of Henry and Anne Peyton. Henry was bapt.
25 Feb 1631, St. Dunstan-in-the-West, London. He was the son of Henry and Katherine
(Clifton) Peyton. Henry was b. 1590; d. 1656. He was Examiner of the High Court in
London.
Peytons who lived in VA before 1800 are eligible for membership in The Peyton
Society of Virginia.

Harold

Marilyn Newton wrote:

> Source:
> Subject: [MOHOWARD-L] Re: Peytons in Howard Co
>
> I followed with interest the discussion of the Peyton family of Virginia in Mo
> during the past week. This was my husband's (Robert Bradford Newton) direct
> line through his mother, Catherine George, b. 26 Jan 1902, Holden, Mo, m. Neil
> Long Newton 10 June 1924, d. 25 July 1988 Jefferson City, Mo, pob. California,
> Moniteau Co. Mo.; daughter of William Hudgins George and his wife Nancy Jane
> Smith of Holden and later Warrensburg, MO. William Hudgins George was the son
> of Warren Georgeand his wife Jane Elizabeth Peyton, daughter of Henry Peyton and
> his wife Sarah Grigsby.
>
> One item I have that might be of interest is a letter written by my husband's
> Grandfather, William.H. George, to his daughter, Grace George, on 13 Feb 1926 in
> answer it appears to a request for family information. Grace was was
> responsible for much of the family genealogical research. I have a copy of her
> approved application for membership in the DAR on the Peyton line, dated 6 Nov
> 1930, so the request might have been in her endeavor to fulfill the
> requirements for this membership. The letter is lengthy and mostly concerns the
> early life of his father, Warren George, and his coming to Ray County, Mo from
> his Lancaster County, Va birthplace. It does contain the following exerpts that
> might be of interest, transcribed as written:
>
> "In 1835 my father located his first home in Mo. Then he went back to Virginia,
> wound up his affairs and started back, overland to Mo. with all his worldly
> possessions, which was no mean amount for that time. They included two negro
> boys, Joe and Ephram, later on he traded Ephram for a beautiful nego girl for a
> wife for Joe, and they raised a big family, who were freed by Lincoln's
> proclamation. When they left home Father gave them a good start for those
> times. A wagon and team, hogs, chickens, cow & household goods__
> On his way back to Mo he met up with an aristocratic family from Green Brier Co,
> Va - Henry PEYTON who was migrating also to Mo and they traveled together, till
> the Peytons reach their destination which was Fayette, Howard Co, Mo. Here they
> separated, my father continuing on to his house in Ray Co. During this company
> traveling he courted and won the daughter Jane Elizabeth Peyton, whom he soon
> married moved to his new house in Ray Co and lived happily ever after."
>
> "My grandmother on Ma's side was named Grigsby, who was kin to President
> Jackson. The William Jackson you asked me about, formerly of St. Louis, was
> Ma's first cousin and his wife was a first cousin. I visited them in St. Louis,
> also in Philadelphia. His mother - a very old lady lived with him. This old
> lady gave me much history of the Peyton family but I have forgotten about all
> she told me."
>
> "This old lady Jackson's daughter who was a 2nd or 3rd cousin of mine married a
> [...]

This thread: