MYRICK-L Archives

Archiver > MYRICK > 2003-01 > 1042155016

Subject: [MYRICK] 1600s/England>VA & MD/GREEN/GRAY(E)/GREY(E)/PROCTOR/GRANTHAM/MYRICK/etc.
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 18:30:16 EST

Hi, Liz, Peggy and MYRICK, GRAY(E,) GREY(E,) GRANTHAM, PROCTOR list members,

Okay, please bear with the connections first and then getting to the
'connecting' info on the immediately following GRAY(E)/GREEN(E)/MYRICK
probablities that may connect with the PROCTOR, GRANTHAM, etc. information
earlier on before the GRANTHAM marriage to HERRINGTON mentioned below so I am
sending this on to some of the rootsweb lists to get some feedback from there
in the hopes that more of these connections can be sorted out for those of us
still searching for them. Many of these families also married into my HARRIS
family group.

I realize that several of the 'items' mentioned below are still 'not totally
proven' with some still highly speculative, (and some still controversial
with some researchers,) but in order to comb through the possibilities
regarding other family connections that in many cases do exist it requires
some piecing together of information to complete the picture that may then
totally prove what we are searching for. In this particular quest it
involves primarily information from 1600s London, England into Surry County,
Virginia. I begin with matching up some of the information that leads to
other connections and then follow it by some documented information that may
prove to be various connections that we are searching for.

(And, as usual, please let me know if you see any glaring errors that have
been totally substantiated to not be correct so that that information can be
entered. With so many of the repeating given names there has been ongoing
confusion for many and still working to straighten that out in several of
these lines.)

Regarding the GRAY(E) information that we have been looking for with the Mrs.
Mary GREEN GRAY(E) whom is believed to have married Owen MYRICK/MIRICK of
1630s and later in Surry County, Virginia married first to (Sir) John GRAY
would appear highly likely to be the Jno GREY shown immediately below with Wm
GREY who may, indeed, have been the same Jno GREY as shown in information
below with a Wm GREY who may have, indeed, been the same man named William
GRAYE/aka GRAY/aka GREYE/aka GREY whom I believe was married to a Mary ? and
who was the brother a woman known only as ? GRAYE who would have been born
Abt. 1560, probably in London, England, and married Joshua?/John? (1)
PROCTOR, Sr./I, born: Abt. 1557 in London, England, whom are believed to
have been my paternal ancestral great grandparents and my descent is believed
to have been through their son, John (2) PROCTOR, born: 1587 in London,
England, died: Bef. June 25, 1627 in Surry County, Virginia, who married an
Alice ?, born: Abt. 1590 in London, England, died: Aft. 1621 in Pace's
Paines, Jamestown, James County, Virginia, who married Bef. 1610 in London,
England, and they were the parents of George PROCTOR, born: Abt. 1621 in
Pace's Paines, Jamestown, James City County, Virginia, died: March 1681/82
in Southwark Parish, Surry County, Virginia, who married: ??, and they were
the parents it is believed of the Joshua PROCTOR, born: 1650 in Surry
County, Virginia, died: March 17, 1716/17 in Surry County, Virginia, md:
(C)Katherine OWEN(S,) born: 1666 in Surry County, Virginia, died: 1718 in
Surry County, Virginia, md: January 03, 1681/82 in Surry County, Virginia,
whom are believed to have been the parents of Catherine PROCTOR, born: 1694
in Surry County, Virginia, died: Bef. 1784, (may have been in Leon County,
Florida,) who married Edward GRANTHAM, II, born: Abt. 1686 in "Grantham
Home," Cypress Swamp, Surry County, Virginia, died: Bet. 1766-1768 in Leon
County, Florida, and they married in 1718, and Edward GRANTHAM, II was the
son of Edward GRANTHAM, I, born: Abt. 1643 in "Grantham's Reeds," Surry Cou
nty, Virginia, died: September 1704 in "Grantham's Reeds," Surry County,
Virginia, who married 3 times to Mary? Elizabeth? JOHNSON, Elizabeth Moore
COCKINS, and Elizabeth ANDREWS whom is believed most likely to have been the
mother of my Edward GRANTHAM, II but some confusion over the Elizabeths. And
Edward GRANTHAM, I is belived to have been the son of Elizabeth YORK, born:
Abt. 1620 possibly in Maryland or England, died: Aft. 1650 possibly in
England, Maryland or Virginia, and Elizabeth YORK's husband, John (1)
GRANTHAM, Sr., born: 1619 in Maryland, died: Aft. 1666 possibly in England
as it is believed most likely that he returned to England at that time but he
could have died in Maryland or Virginia, and John (1) GRANTHAM, Sr. is
believed to have been the son of (Sir) Thomas GRANTHAM, (Knight,) born: 1590
in England.

My GRANTHAM lineage married into my HERRINGTON lineage with my paternal 3rd
great grandmother, Cynthia "Sina" GRANTHAM, born: Abt. 1800 in Robeson
County, NC on SC border, (daughter of Elizabeth AMMONS and Richard GRANTHAM,
Jr., (son of Richard, Sr., son of James, son of Edward, II shown above,)) and
Cynthia married my paternal 3rd great grandfather, William HERRINGTON, Jr.,
born: Abt. 1794 in New Hanover County, North Carolina, (son of William
HERRINGTON, Sr., born: Bef. 1755 in Craven County, North Carolina,) and
William HERRINGTON, Jr. and Cynthia "Sina" GRANTHAM's daughter, Phoebe
Catherine HERRINGTON, born: April 1833 in Jasper County, MS, married William
H. "Billy" MYRICK, born: 1822 in Jones County, MS, (son of Elizabeth
"Bettie" PIERCE, born: 1790 in 96th District, South Carolina, and William
MYRICK, born: Abt. 1788 in, we believe, Barnwell County, South Carolina.)

Now, that brings me to the information that I have for what I believe is the
GRAY(E)/GREY(E) and GREEN connection that connects to the MYRICK shown below
is information from deeds in Surry County, Virginia from the 1600s and 1700s
which features the aforementioned:

<< Regarding the GRAY(E) information that we have been looking for with the
Mrs. Mary GREEN GRAY(E,) born: Abt. 1650 possibly in Surry County, Virginia,
(parents: ??,) whom is believed to have married first to (Sir) John GRAY,
born: possibly Bet. 1630-1650 most likely in England but possibly in Surry
County, Virginia, would appear highly likely to be the Jno GREY shown
immediately below with Wm GREY who may, indeed, have been the same William
GRAYE/aka GRAY/aka GREYE/aka GREY >> and also showing a men named Peter
GREEN and Richard GREEN in the late 1600s that could very well be connected
to the Mary GREEN, born: Abt. 1650 in Surry County, Virginia, died: ?, md:
1679 in Surry County, Virginia, whom appears to have first been married to
(Sir) John GRAY(E)/GREY(E) and then this Mrs. Mary GREEN GRAY(E)/GREY(E) is
believed to have later married 2nd husband, Owen (1) MYRICK, Sr., born: Aft.
1630 in England, most likely, or in Surry County, Virginia, died: Aft. July
03, 1683.

Please continue reading the following information.

Sincerely,

Bellinda Myrick - Barnett
List Administrator
List Administrator
List Administrator

http://users.rcn.com/deeds/Surry.txt

Item Dat Ref To Re

<< 107 26 Sep 1678 VPB 6 p653 Wm Grey & Jno Grey 800a on
the South Side James River at the head of Smiths fort >>

322 29 May 1683 VPB 7 p297 Edward Grantham 300a on
thee Branches of Cypress Swamp in upper pish of Surry
145 15 Jul 1717 D&WBk 7 p71 Edward Grantham of the same 150a
bought from Thomas Sowersberry by sd John Avary
575 5 Sep 1749 VPB 28 p692-6 Benjamin Gray 320a
Surry County on the S side of black Water Swamp
104 20 Jul 1639 VPB 1 p669 Thomas Gray 400a
James City County
26 21 Aug 1635 VPB 1 p283 Thomas Gray 550a
James City County
27 26 May 1638 VPB 1 p631 Thomas Gray 550a in
the Countie of James Cittie on the S side of
224 24 Feb 1719/2 SY D&WBk 7 p2 William Gray 180a
granted sd Thomas King on 2 May 1706
255 5 Jan 1691/92 SY D&WBk 4 p2 William Gray 50a on
sd Regan's line and adj. the Glebe line and
158 20 Apr 1680 VPB 7 p27 Wm Gray of Surrey County 680a on
both sides of the head of the Lower Sunken Marsh
236 5 Mar 1656/57 VPB 4 p86=(p1 Peter Green 200a
Surry County S side of James Riv. & SE Side the head of
225 21 Feb 1663/6 VPB 5 p335(33 Peter Green 350a
Surry Co. on S side of James River and on the West side
430 Jan 1690/91 SY D&WBk 4 p1 Richard Greene of Southwarke
106 14 Mar 1652/5 VPB 3 p158 Thomas Grey 800a
Surry County
107 26 Sep 1678 VPB 6 p653 Wm Grey & Jno Grey 800a on
the South Side James River at the head of Smiths fort

Part of this information on Joshua PROCTOR is from Diana MUIR posting to the
PROCTOR list and Peggy PRICE in her info on one of the several Joshua PROCTOR
men.

Descendants of Joshua Proctor

Generation No. 1

1. JOSHUA1 PROCTOR1 was born Abt. 1600 in England1, and died in Surry Co.,
VA1.

Notes for JOSHUA PROCTOR: