NCROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > NCROOTS > 2000-01 > 0948420887

From: <>
Subject: [NCROOTS] Re: NC County highway maps
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 20:14:47 -0600

If the NC Dept of Transportation is set up like the State of Alabama, you should be able to contact them at their
state headquarters & get a good set of maps for each county of the state, with every dirt road marked and most
all the churches and cemeteries (named & unnamed) already marked on them, too. Give this a try--it was a BIG help
to me.

> #5 [NCROOTS] National Archives and CW ["theshadow" <>]
> #6 [NCROOTS] NARA RECORDS ["theshadow" <>]
> #7 [NCROOTS] Madison Co. []
> #8 Re: [NCROOTS] Madison Co. [Wilson Roberts <>]
> Administrivia:
> To unsubscribe from NCROOTS-D, send a message to
> that contains in the body of the message the command
> unsubscribe
> and no other text. No subject line is necessary, but if your software
> requires one, just use unsubscribe in the subject, too.
> Contact Elizabeth Harris,
> for any questions, complaints, etc.
> ______________________________
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Subject: [NCROOTS] Thomas Marion HARP Sr. mailing list
> Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 19:29:44 EST
> From:
> To:
> Hello all,
> Just wanted you to know that there's a new mailing list out concerning the
> ancestors and descendants of Thomas Marion HARP Sr., who was born 1732,
> (probably Virginia..maybe Maryland), and settled in Granville County, North
> Carolina.
> Some of the allied families are:
> Tudor, Lewis, Moore, Stanton, Harrison, Dickerson, Grace, Johnson, Murphy,
> Bohannon, Smith, Dale, Masoner, Maxwell, Chapman, and more.
> We hope you'll join us by sending mail to:
> , or
> Subject: [NCROOTS] James Jordan-Marriage Thanks for help
> Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 20:04:18 EST
> From:
> To:
> A special thanks to Bill Autry and gbarbour(George and Willie) for help with
> James Jordan's marriage look-up. I wonder if some courthouse records burned
> for some counties in North Carolina during the civil war as I learned was the
> case for some courthouse records for some counties in South Carolina. Every
> day I learn more and more about history. Any how, thanks to the kind people
> who looked up the info. for me.
> Bonnie
> ______________________________
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Subject: [NCROOTS] NEED ANSWERS
> Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 23:24:49 -0500
> From: "Diane Johnson" <>
> To:
> I received so many replys trying to Help, I`m have been trying to answer all
> but if I don`t answer you it not because I don`t Appreciate it I do. I want
> to thank you alot. Its going to take some time to check all the info you`ll
> sent. And hopefully I`ll find what I need. You`ll are nice folks.
> Thanks Again,
> James L. Johnson Jr.
> ______________________________
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Subject: [NCROOTS] National Archives and CW Site
> Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 22:33:30 -0600
> From: "theshadow" <>
> To:
> Hello again, Folks,
> Several of you have asked me where to send for records. I found the NA
> site and listed the URLs below. Also, the CW site I have below is excellent
> and may give you information you never dreamed of. It is a superb site and
> has numerous links. It even lists several rosters of
> companies---Confederate and Federal and some prisoners of war.
> Good luck to all of you,
> Jean Hancock
> Subject: [NCROOTS] NARA RECORDS
> Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 23:12:09 -0600
> From: "theshadow" <>
> To:
> Hi Folks,
> Thanks to all of you who sent the records URLs. When I sent for my
> records all of this on-line stuff did not exist! No, I am not older than
> God, just close to it <LOL>! I really appreciate having the information too
> as I lost mine in the Great Crash. I also had forgotten that there was a
> specific form that I had to use, so thanks for jogging my memory. One thing
> I do remember, you must ask for a copy of ALL the records or you will get
> just the "bare bones" records.
> Good luck to all fo you who are looking.
> Jean Hancock
> ______________________________
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Subject: [NCROOTS] Madison Co.
> Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 00:18:30 EST
> From:
> To:
> I was wondering if anyone lives in Madison County, NC. I am trying to
> obtain a county road map for Madison Co. from whichever agency would handle
> such a thing -- state roads?, dept. of transportation?, county roads? I
> would like to find the address, snail or email, so that I can write to
> request a map. I tried finding several cemeteries in Madison Co. last fall,
> but the roads are poorly marked and my atlas didn't show even half of the
> roads.
> Additionally, has anyone ever heard of an area called PawPaw? I think it
> is on the west side of the French Broad River someplace near Little Pine
> Creek.
> I'd appreciate any help or suggestions.
> Linda Ball
> Researching: Anderson * Ball * Kent * Payne
> Western NC
> ______________________________
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Subject: Re: [NCROOTS] Madison Co.
> Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 23:38:52 -0700
> From: Wilson Roberts <>
> To:
> Hi;
> You might try your local AAA office. They have some pretty good maps,
> and if you are a member, they are free.
> The NC Gazetteer, on page 374, lists:
> Pawpaw Creek, rises in s Madison County and flows ne into French Broad
> River.
> There is a Paw Creek township, former township in w central
> Mecklenburg County, now township number 12. (Probably won't help)
> Will in Phoenix
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2000 00:18:30 EST, you wrote:
> > I was wondering if anyone lives in Madison County, NC. I am trying to
> >obtain a county road map for Madison Co. from whichever agency would handle
> >such a thing -- state roads?, dept. of transportation?, county roads? I
> >would like to find the address, snail or email, so that I can write to
> >request a map. I tried finding several cemeteries in Madison Co. last fall,
> >but the roads are poorly marked and my atlas didn't show even half of the
> >roads.
> > Additionally, has anyone ever heard of an area called PawPaw? I think it
> >is on the west side of the French Broad River someplace near Little Pine
> >Creek.
> > I'd appreciate any help or suggestions.
> >
> >Linda Ball
> >Researching: Anderson * Ball * Kent * Payne
> >Western NC
> >
> >
> >==== NCROOTS Mailing List ====
> >Discussion on this list is restricted to NORTH CAROLINA GENEALOGY only.
> >Please keep this list on topic. Forwarded net-humor is not acceptable, no matter how funny it seems to you.
> >For comments or list administration questions, contact the list manager at <>
> >
> >==============================
> >Search ALL of RootsWeb's mailing lists in real time.
> >RootsWeb's Personalized Mailing Lists: