NCROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > NCROOTS > 2000-12 > 0975722857

From: "William&Shirley Rowe" <>
Subject: [NCROOTS] John WOOD/b. 1810-1/North Carolina
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 20:07:37 -0600

I'm trying to trace my ggggrandfather, John WOOD. Because the name is so
common it's obviously more difficult to research. Here's what I know: 1850
Owen County INDIANA Census lists John WOOD, 39, b. NC, Martha WOOD, 27, b.
NC,
Nathan WOOD, 13, b. NC, Hardin Wood, 12, b. NC, Hiram WOOD, 2, b. Indiana.

There is no listing for them in 1860 in Owen County. Based on the above, I
can deduce John WOOD b. about 1811. He probably married around 1835/6.
Martha, b. about 1823 (this could be John's second wife as she would only
have been 14 when the first son was born and there is a ten year gap between
second and third child but it's also possible that she's his first wife).

I've been able to trace Nathan's line to the present - still a few gaps but
I'm working on them. Just recently found Nathan's death date and will try
to get a death certificate from Owen County, IN to see if it provides any
more
data.

I've looked through the BMD marriage records and have looked at some 1840
census records for various NC counties but with only names listed it's like
looking for a needle in a haystack. Haven't found anything that resembles
the family structure but what's to say there weren't more children back
then?

Recently started searching for Hardin and Hiram since they are less common
names and thought perhaps they might provide some leads if I can connect
with someone.

If I could find the county they were in it would be easier to trace but how
do I do that? What steps would you suggest? Or am I doing what I need to be
doing?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Shirley WOOD Rowe
San Antonio, TX