NCROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > NCROOTS > 2000-12 > 0975757769

From: "Neal Caskey" <>
Subject: [NCROOTS] Typest needed Gaston County Heritage Book
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 08:49:29 -0300

Good morning, I wish to thank those of you that volunteered to type some of the stories for the Gaston County Heritage Book. We still have plenty if anyone else would like to volunteer.

Some of you have written asking why we need the stories re-typed. So here is a brief explanation. In order to save money on the publication and to keep the price of the book as low as possible ($45.00 compared to $65.00) we agreed to do as much of the work as possible.

Our intentions were to scan the stories with a good OCR program that would convert them to text. We purchased what we felt was a real good program nearly $400.00 but the results were less than desirable and in many case the time involved in correcting the mistakes generated by the program took longer than re-typing the story. So, therefore the plea for typist. All of this came on about the same time as my computer crashed. I'm using my daughter's old Pentium 200 until I can get a new one.

Also I have been working on a book of Civil War letters and would love to have someone who would be interested in transcribing some of them. Some are handwritten and some have been typed. If you are interested in typing some let me know.

Thanks to all of you good folks.

This thread: