NCROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > NCROOTS > 2000-12 > 0976814691

From: "Willie Smith" <>
Subject: [NCROOTS] Rice family in Wilkes County, N.C.
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 12:24:51 -0500

If any of you have transcribed deed records covering the period 1783-1790, I am looking for deeds pertaining to William RICE, John "Housely"(Owsley), Joshua Botts, Peter Helton.
These folks apparently were from old Somerset/Worchester County, MD. William Rice was a Revolutionary War veteran, and married Mary Owsley, daughter of John Owsley Sr., and Ann Stephens of Loudon County, VA (or Maryland???).
I find Robert Rice, William Rice, John "Housely" in 6th Regt., 4th Co., 2nd Battalion,Col. Williams' Regiment of Maryland Continental Line in October 1780. I find a Robert Rice on 1803 Jackson County, TN taxlist, and William Rice moved to Claiborne County, TN with his family.
In "Tennessee Tidbits" I find him in Claiborne County where he died before 12 August 1816, with Adam Dale and Ann Moore proving his will (Claiborne Minutes 4/220 and 4/234).
I would greatly appreciate your help in finding out deed book and page numbers, so I can order copies of these records. Where can I order copies of Wilkes County deeds? My Judd's, Medlin's, Maynard's, Grimes's were right there in Wilkes County with this William Rice - right under my nose all these years and I didn't even see him!
Thanks for your help!

Will Smit

This thread: