NCROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > NCROOTS > 2000-12 > 0976940990

From: "Joyce Wolfe" <>
Subject: Re: [NCROOTS] Smithville, NC
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 23:29:50 -0500

Mary,

My ancestor is Joel Massey Terrell, Company C and D of the 10th Battalion,
NC Heavy Artillery.

Since you believe your Westbrook Tart died in Smithfield, here are some
thoughts on what may have possibly happened to him.
1. He could have been wounded in the battle of Bentonville, which is about
15 miles south of Smithfield. (This was the last major battle of the war.)
He then could have died when the Army retreated to Smithfield.
2. He could have died from some sickness or desease which was prevalent in
the Army at that time.
3. He could have been killed in some local, unreported incident around
Smithfield before the surrender.

We'll never know about these things for sure, but it's interesting to
speculate.

Do you know anything more about him? I would be interested in hearing
whatever you have.

Bob

South