NJHUNTER-L Archives

Archiver > NJHUNTER > 2008-05 > 1211892554

From: Annette Eubank <>
Subject: Re: [NJHUNTER] ROBINS or ROBBINS Family Photograph
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 05:49:14 -0700 (PDT)

The city, which is on the east side of the Delaware
River, lies across from New Hope, PA. It was
originally known as Coryell's Ferry, named for the
ferry boat that transported workers across the river.

In 1814 it was renamed Lambertville by the Postmaster,
John Lambert. There was a prominent Lambert family in
the town. Capt. John Lambert built The Lambertville
House on Bridge Street. "Captain Lambert's uncle, the
Hon. John Lambert, represented his fellow citizens
both in the State Legislature and Council. Later he
was elected to the U.S. House of Representative and
during Jeffereson's administration to the the Senate.
It was whilehe was int he Senate in 1814 that he
procured the first post office for this town, which he
proceeded to call Lambert's Ville. HIs nephew, Joh
Lambert, was designated post master." (from
Lambertville New Jersey, from the beginning as
Coryell's Ferry" by Alfred G. Petrie, 1949)