NORWAY-L Archives

Archiver > NORWAY > 2003-06 > 1056302837

From: "Aanund Olsnes" <>
Subject: Re: Norwegian Inheritance Customs/Laws
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 19:27:17 +0200

The questions calls for a long and rather involved answer. But
I'll try to give the gist of it in a few short paragraphs:

All children inherited, but nevertheless the eldest son (or the eldest of the male line, or failing that, the eldest of the female line) was entitled to take over the whole farm.

For this to work out, the person with the best 'odel' had to buy
out his (or more seldom her) coheirs, which he had the right to do for a special price, called 'odelstakst', which was, and is,
considerably lower than the price in a regular sale to someone unrelated.

Aside from this, two special aspects of the inheritance rules merits emphasis:

1. Brothers always inherited twice as much as sisters.

2. Children born out of wedlock inherited nothing. (This was the case until 1917.)

Aanund