NORWAY-L Archives

Archiver > NORWAY > 2006-03 > 1142526203

From: "Viggo M. Fosse" <>
Subject: Re: Where did Ole Nesburg come from in Norway? A direction to help solve the ???
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 17:23:23 +0100

Ruth,
What a coinsidence !
I just finished talking to a genealogy-friend who verified my suspicion (and
also one of Lars' suggestions) that there somehow was a tie to the NESBJØRG
farm in Strandvik local parish, Os parish (now Fusa). I have also talked to
a NESBJØRG family who lives in/near Haugesund whose ties are with same farm.

According to the Fusa bygdebok Ole was apparently the son of Ole Monsson
HALHJEM 1801-? (from Os Main Parish) and Alis Gundersdtr. MYKLESTAD (from
Tysnes parish). However, his father must have been Ole Olson VERNØEN (also
mentioned in the VERY unclear write-up on family relations in this case)
which is now also evident from this info at FamilySearch:

OLE OLSEN
Male
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 10 JAN 1836 Os, Hordaland, Norway
Death:
Burial:
Parents:
Father: OLE OLSEN Family
Mother: ALIS GUNDERSDR

My assumption is that Ole Monson was Alis' 1st husband and they had 2
children born to them:
(1) Ole b.1828
(2) Kari b.1830
Then she married Ole Olsen and they had 2 children:
(3) Gunder b.1833
(4) Ole b.1836

The book does not mention anything abt what happened to the children, but
there are several SAILORS among their close relations. E.g. Ole's 1st cousin
Peder Olson HALHJEM b.1836 was a sailor and settled in Sidney, Australia.

I have also spent some time trying to locate Ole & Julia, and I may have
found them in Hart twp., Winona County, MN (in Rush Creek Valley =
"Hardangerdalen") along with several immigrants from Hardanger that I have
lots of info on. Their children were also baptized in the Arendahl
Congregation.

It will now be possible to trace Ole's ancestors back MANY generations. I
already had Gjøri/Julia's ancestry back to the 16-1700s in Balestrand, and
also extensive outlines of her relations.

I will not be surprised to find ties to my own ancestors in Os parish, and I
also know a MYKLESTAD family here (ties to Tysnes and Kvam, Hardanger) who
are my relations by marriage.

I am confident we have found the right family ! More later.

Viggo
in Bergen, Norway