NORWAY-L Archives

Archiver > NORWAY > 2006-06 > 1150726516

From: "Fred Matson" <>
Subject: Re: Tre Lag Stevne
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 09:15:16 -0500

I see a Trempealeau county tour is in the plans. I am guessing possible
areas might be around Osseo, Strum, Eleva, Pigeon Falls, York, Whitehall,
Blair. For a taste of a very Norwegian settlement in far northern
Trempealeau county, twenty miles south of Eau Claire, I invite you to go to
my Matson-Garson family and Strum & Town of Unity WEB site www.norhemian.com
or www.strumwisconsin.com and read the entertaining 75 page online version
of "A History of Strum and the Town of Unity" by my late father, Roy H.
Matson of Strum. Born in 1909, Roy had a special sense and interest for
family and community history even as a kid. He talked personally with many
early settlers and knew if he did not record the tales and facts that such
might be lost. You can pick and choose what to view.

Strum and Unity Township were first settled by New Englanders and then in
the 1860s Norwegians moved up from Vernon County, Wisconsin and came direct
from all points of Norway including Gudbrandsdal, Hedmarken of your Tre Lag
Stevne to take over the unclaimed land. The name Strum is itself likely
Norwegian, after Louis Strum, a register of deeds in Eau Claire county who
used to make frequent visits to Strum in his support of temperance. A few
key New Englander families remained and survived the Norwegian influx to
become key community leaders.

My WEB site is listed with WEB Sites of Norway Listers. No ads. Just
stories, pictures, genealogies and enjoyment.

Fred Matson
Oakdale, Minnesota (east side St. Paul)