NORWAY-L Archives

Archiver > NORWAY > 2006-12 > 1165928376

From: Bev Anderson <>
Subject: Re: [NOR] meaning of title "Hoboist"
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 04:59:36 -0800 (PST)

Did he play an oboe?

My grandfather, Carl Olavus Bye, was a musician, and, family legend suggests he was director of the Norwegian military/court band for 28 years in the mid 19th century. (At least partially true because I remember seeing his ceremonial sword with his uniform). In recent research I found reference to Carl listed as "Hoboist og Directeur". Now..... I know for a fact that Carl was not a "hobo" and I am somewhat confused by the use of the French spelling "directeur". Can anyone out there help me understand the meaning of "Hoboist and Directeur"?

Karl from New Hampshire (aka Karl haarfagre)