Archiver > NYBROOKLYN > 2001-02 > 0981012341

Subject: [Bklyn] Brooklyn Daily Standard Union - 25 FEB 1893
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 02:25:41 EST

Brooklyn Daily Standard Union - 25 FEB 1893

And Attacks Four Children in the Eastern District

Tailor KLEPPEL owned a savage ratter -the dog accidentally got out of the
house this morning and terrified the whole neighborhood.

There was great excitement on Johnson avenue this morning when a mad dog
terrified the whole neighborhood. Before the animal was captured he had
bitten four children.

Jacob KLEPPEL, a tailor at 110 Johnson avenue, owns a savage ratter. which,
until the last three or four days, had apparently been a gentle animal.
Yesterday the dog went mad and KLEPPEL tried to keep it in the house thinking
that the ratter would get over the madness soon.

This morning the dog accidentally got our of the house and started running
and barking down the street. At the end of the first block from KLEPPEL's
house the dog pounced upon Mike KOBLELOCK, aged 6 years, of 131 Johnson
avenue. Then the dog bit the boy in the leg. The ratter continued on his
rampage. Before he had gone another block the dog had seriously bitten Fritz
RIPPLE, aged 7 years; Isaac STEIN, aged 4 years, and Rachel BLUMENSTEIN, aged
5 years.

Mrs. KNOBLELOCK, the mother of Mike KNOBLELOCK, who was badly injured by the
dog, went to Justice WATSON's court this morning and obtained an order to
have the dog shot.
Bernard LEAVY

Bernard LEAVY, president of the New York and Brooklyn Brewing Company, and
brother of Matthew LEAVY, head of the brewing firm of LEAVY & BRITTON, died
last night at his residence, 203 Hewes street, of pneumonia. Mr. LEAVY had
been ill for nearly a year, and for six months past has been confined to his
bed. The funeral will take place on Monday from the Church of the
Transfiguration, Marcy avenue and Hooper street. A solemn high mass of
requiem will be celebrated. The interment will be in the family vault in
Holy Cross Cemetery at Flatbush. He leaves two sons and two daughters, all
of whom are grown up.

Bernard LEAVY was one of the most popular and prominent men in Catholic
circles in this city. He was born in County Longford, Ireland, forty-seven
years ago, and came to this country at the close of the war. He afterwards
engaged in the brewing business, and, at the time of his death, was one of
the best-known brewers in New York State. When he was president of the
Emerald Society, ten years ago, he started a fund for the erection of a new
asylum, after St. John's R. C. Orphan Asylum was burned down. He was a heavy
contributor, and succeeded in raising a large amount. He was a member of the
St. Patrick's Society, and the Constitution, Columbian and Hanover clubs, of
this city, and of the Catholic Club and the Friendly Sons of St. Patrick, of
New York. At last night's meeting of the St. Patrick's Society a committee
was appointed to draft resolutions on his death, and it was decided to attend
the funeral in a body and to send floral tributes. All the other
organizations of which he was a member will also send delegations.

Charles BARBERE, a homeless youngster, 13 years old, was found half perished
in a hallway on Fulton avenue near Rockaway, Thursday afternoon by Patrolman
BRADY, of the Seventeenth precinct. This morning he was brought to the Gates
avenue police court on a charge of vagrancy, and was turned over by Justice
CONNELLY to the care of Officer FELK, of the Society Prevention of Cruelty to

Roundsman Peter J. DOWNEY, of the First precinct, has been transferred to the
Fourteenth, and Roundsman KLEIN, of the Fourteenth, takes his place.
Roundsman CLANCY has been transferred from the First precinct to the
Eighteenth, and Roundsman MURPHY, of the Eighteenth, goes to the First.
These changes are said to be in the interest of the department, on account of
the frequent petty robberies in the First precinct.

St. Valentine was an Italian priest who suffered martyrdom at Rome in 270, or
at Terni in 306, writes Florence WILSON in the "Ladies' Home Journal."
Historians differ as to the date Legend amplifies, by dwelling on the virtues
of his life and the manner of his death, and tells how he was brought before
the Emperor Claudius II, who asked why he did not cultivate his friendship by
honoring his gods. As Valentine pleaded the cause of the one true God
earnestly, Calphurnius, the priest, cried out that he was seducing the
Emperor, whereupon he was sent to Asterius to be judged. To him Valentine
spoke of Christ, the light of the world, and Asterius said: "If He be the
light of the world He will restore the light to my daughter, who has been
blind for two years." The maiden was brought, and after Valentine prayed and
laid his hands on her she received sight. Then Asterius asked that he and
his household might be baptized, whereat the Emperor being enraged, caused
all to be imprisioned, and Valentine to be beaten with clubs. He was
beheaded a year latter at Rome on February 14, 270.
History, having little to tell concerning the man, makes amends by dwelling
at length on the ceremonies observed on this day. They trace the origin of
these to the Roman Lupe?calia, celebrated in February, at which on practice
was to put the names of women in a box to be drawn by the men, each being
bound to serve and honor the woman whose name he had drawn.

Transcribed verbatim by Susan De Haas


This thread: