NYBROOKLYN-L Archives

Archiver > NYBROOKLYN > 2002-04 > 1018575569

From: Margaret Ransom <>
Subject: [Bklyn] Brooklyn Union Argus,November 18,1882-Death
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 21:39:29 -0400

Brooklyn Union Argus
November 18, 1882

Died a Drunkard

Domestic Infelicity and Liquor—From Wealth and Respect to Poverty and
Degradation—The Sad Story of a Mispent Life—Death from an Overdose of Chloral

Frederick A. BURROUGHS, a pedler aged 40 years, was last night found
unconscious in a room at No. 121 Tenth street, South Brooklyn, which he hired
from the owner of the building, Mr. SMALLEY, and died in a short time. The
case was reported to the police as one of suicide, but later developments
proved that death was caused by an overdose of chloral. BURROUGHS had been on
an extended spree and took the chloral to induce sleep. The chloral was
purchased at the drug store corner of Third avenue and Ninth street and the
label called for a tablespoonful to be taken every hour. Instead of following
the directions he swallowed the contents of two bottles. On the bed near where
the dead man lay was a letter of which the following is a copy:
New York, Nov. 12, 1882
Dear Halley and Gracie,
I have not seen you since the latter part of August to speak to either of
you. I called at Duffield street to see you in September last. You had gone.
Will you write and tell me how you got along in the country? I wish you would
ask your mother to let you both come with me some day and get both of your
pictures taken. If she is willing you can write to me. Direct your letter F.
A. BURROUGHS, Post Office, Brooklyn, L.I. N.Y., and I will send you word where
to meet me and the time. It will be in some photographer’s on Fulton street or
Myrtle avenue. If she is willing I will give her a picture the same as the one
I get for myself. My dear little ones I long to pass an hour or two in your
company, but as fate seems to make it otherwise, I can still love you both in
my thoughts. I send you my love. May God bless you both is the wish of your
affectionate father
Fred A. Burroughs

P.S. –Enclosed are postage stamps for a letter from each of you to me and
which I will look for.
Papa

BURROUGHS was at one time one of the most successful business men in the
Eastern District and was very wealthy. He did a thriving business as a hatter
at the corner of Broadway and Fourth street, and was the owner of a large
parcel of real estate in the most valuable part of the Eastern District.

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses by Friendly Network.]

This thread: