Archiver > NYBROOKLYN > 2002-11 > 1037734611

From: Kathy <>
Subject: [Bklyn] Standard Union-March 7, 1931-News
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 14:38:43 -0500

Standard Union-March 7, 1931-News

Three Others Seriously Hurt in Accident at Dry Dock

With a road that was heard for blocks, causing consternation on the
waterfront, a boiler on the tugboat Joyce Card at Robins Dry Dock, Erie
Basin, exploded shortly after 8 o'clock this morning, killing instantly two
of her crew of eight men.
The death list may be increased to five, it is believed, as three others of
the crew are missing. The remaining members are in Long Island College
Hospital suffering from serious injuries.
The three missing men wereWalter MADDOX, 32, of 22 1/2 South street,
Manhattan, a deckhand; John KASSON, 30, an oiler, and Joseph RAY, 34, a
The tugboat was owned by the Card Towing Company of Manhattan. Jut how the
accident occurred except that it was declared to be a boiler explosion, has
not been definitely ascertained. The district attorney will investigate.
It is known that the eight men were below deck at the time and it is
believed some of them may have been at work near the boiler. Surrounding
shipping was suddenly shaken by a detonation that was deafening and
fragments of the Joyce Card were thrown high in the air.

Examination of the boat showed that it had been blown almost to
pieces. Two bodies were found in the water nearby and the captain, first
mate and chief engineer were picked up badly injured. They were rushed to
the hospital. In the meantime Emergency Squad No. 13, an ambulance from the
Holy Family Hospital and an ambulance and two doctors from the Long Island
College Hospital had responded to the call for help.
The dead are:
Albert JOHNSON, 38, 22 1/2 South street, Manhattan, cook
Augustus FLOOD, 35, Lived on the boat.
Those in the Long Island College Hospital are: Capt. Leslie HARRIE, Chief
Engineer Jack MC LAIN and First Mate Joseph MC QUADE. They are reported in
a precarious condition from their injuries.
MC QUADE lives at 149 Clinton avenue.
According to the facts as gathered by the police, the Joyce Card and her
sister boat, the Paul Card, had brought in a tanker owned by the Gulf
Refining Company and had taken it to Pier 5. The Paul Card had left while
the Joyce Card stayed at the pier for instructions. Capt. William
SJOVAL,of 785 East Thirty-eighth street in charge of the Paul Card, said
his boat had gone about 500 yards when he heard a terrific explosion and
saw members of the Joyce Card's crew struggling in the water.

He rescued the chief engineer and Mate William MORAN, of the Paul Card,
rescued MC QUADE, while Capt. John BENNETT,of the tugboat John DALZELLIDO
saved HARRIS. Sergeant Samuel BLYTHE, of the emergency crew, also aided in
the rescues.


Charged with receiving stolen goods Charles SMALIKOFF, 20, of 156 Siegel
street, and Sam COOPER, 27, 449 Bushwick avenue were to be arranged in
Bridge Plaza court today before Magistrate DALE.
The men were arrested last night by Detectives HEMINDINGER and JENNER who
say that they were approached by the men and asked if they would like to
buy some shoes, "cheap."
According to the police they went to a nearby furnished room where the men
had 1,000 pairs of shoes which are alleged to be the property of the Coward
Shoe Company, 37 West Forty-seventh street, Manhattan. Police say they are
the proceeds of a recent truck holdup in Manhattan.

"Phantom Village" of ROTHSTEIN Goes to City for $475,000

"Phantom Village," or rather the site upon which the late Arnold ROTHSTEIN,
slain gambler, built one of his racketeering bubbles, will soon ring with
the laughter of children and blossom in the greenness of a municipal park
and playground, according to Comptroller Charles W. BERRY, who announced
the purchase of the land yesterday for $475,000.
The land, eighty-eight and a quarter acres in size, located in the famous
Juniper Valley section between Middle Village and Maspeth, was acquired at
a private sale at the assessed valuation with the sanction of Borough
President HARVEY and Park Commissioner BENNINGER, OF Queens.
In announcing the purchase, Mr. BERRY said: 'The land is a bargain. My own
appraisers have valued it at $7,500 an acre but we are getting it for
$5,700 an acre. Several realty experts of Queens say that it is well worth
$10,000 an acre.
At the meeting of the Board of Estimate next Friday, Mr. BERRY said that he
will submit a recommendation for the purchase of the land for the value
named by the executors of ROTHSTEIN'S estate.
One hundred and forty-three buildings erected on the land by the late
gambler were condemned as unsafe by Superintendent of Buildings BURWELL of
Queens, and a number of them were demolished.
It was recalled that at one time former Borough President Maurice CONNOLLY
recommended the purchase of the land as a city airport but this was dropped
because of the swampy condition of the soil.
Later it was suggested as a site for the proposed civic site for Queens and
a controversy among the various civic organizations of the borough led to
the final vetoing of the suggestion by Borough President HARVEY.

Glenwood, L. I., Resident Born Feb. 29, 1832, Leap Year

Miss Harriet WILLARD, who has lived in the little North Shore hamlet of
Glenwood, L. I. , for only two years, has just entered the 100th year of
her life, although she has had only 24 birthdays.
Miss WILLARD was a leap year baby, having been born February 29, 1832, in
Saybrook, Conn., and like all leap year babies, she has had to struggle
through life with only one birthday in every four years. Next year being a
leap year she is already looking forward to another birthday
celebration-twenty-fifth-when she will be 100 years old.
Miss WILLARD was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Laura AYER WILLARD, members
of an old New England family. She lived in the place of her birth until
she was 50, then moved to West Haven, Conn., where she lived until she came
to Glenwood two years ago, to live with her great-nephew, George A. BAKER.
She is in good health and has a sunny disposition. she always keeps busy,
fashions her own clothes, keeps in touch with the world through reading,
and is fond of young people. Several members of her family have lied to be
over 90 years of age.
Miss WILLARD distinctly recalls the assassination of President
LINCOLN. During the Civil War she did her bit by knitting for the soldiers.


John DAWITZ, 62, of 50-25 Forty-second street, Corona, is alive today due
to the promptness of an unidentified woman. he is confined to Kings County
Hospital, suffering from a fracture of the right knee and lacerations of
both legs.
As DAWITZ alighted from an east bound train of the Fourteenth street subway
line at the Bedford avenue station, his coat got caught in the last door of
the train. He was dragged thirty feet along the platform.
George RIGLEY, of 87 Berry street, and Joseph SCHWAB, of 281 Nassau avenue,
tried to save DAWITZ, but without success. Their cries attracted the
attention of the woman, who pulled the emergency cord, bringing the train
to a stop.
DAWITZ was attended by Ambulance Surgeon ZABINSKY of Greenpoint Hospital.

Transcribed for the Bklyn Info Pages by Kathy Jost-Shouse

This thread: