Archiver > NYBROOKLYN > 2003-01 > 1042568682

From: Melvin & Marilynn Wright <>
Subject: [Bklyn] Daily Standard Union - 3 May 1907
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 10:25:40 -0800



By the death of Cornelius KEEGAN, at his home on the Dublin road, in
Kilkenny, Ireland, a short time ago, a fairly large fortune awaits the
locating of his two children, who are residents of this country, but
exactly where is not known. The children are a daughter, whose name is
Katherine, and a son, Edward.

KEEGAN was seventy years of age when he died and had, though born in
Ireland, been a resident of this country up to about a year before his
death, having amassed a large fortune as a contractor in Manhattan. He
lived at 55 West Fifty-third street.

KEEGAN was a veteran of the Civil War, and during the administration of
President CLEVELAND was an inspector at the Customs House. He is
survived by a nephew, Thomas KEEGAN, of this borough, who is a
patrolman in the Ralph avenue station and who is also an heir to the

The two children who are being sought by the administrators of the
estate were born to the deceased by his first wife, who died several
years ago. A year or so later Mr. KEEGAN married a second time, taking
as his wife Miss Julia DOHENY, who was a resident of Kilkenny, Ireland,
in which place he met and married her.

She also survives him.

Policeman KEEGAN is doing his utmost to locate his missing cousins,
neither of whom he thinks are aware of the death of their parent. He
says that he believes they are both at present residents of Manhattan.



The neighborhood of Humboldt street and Montrose avenue, last night,
proved unlucky to two little children who were run over as they were
playing in the street. The first accident occurred when four-year-old
Clementina CALENDIR, of 172 Humboldt street, was run over by a brick
wagon, driven by Jacob BOPP, 38 years old, of 200 Meserole street, late
yesterday afternoon.

The child was playing in the street and did not notice the big truck
until it was upon her. The rear wheels passed over her, and she lay
unconscious until a surgeon from the Williamsburg Hospital attended
her. Both of her thighs were fractured.

The other accident happened a few hours later. William H. FLYNN, a
driver for the Street Cleaning Department, was passing along Montrose
avenue with a wagon full of refuse to which two "trailers" were
attached. Eight-year-old Louis LEVINE, of 210 Scholes street, was on
one of the wagons, when he fell off and received severe wounds, as the
wheels passing over him.

Both BOPP and FLYNN were taken to the Manhattan avenue court to-day and
held for examinations on charges of assault.


Magistrate FURLONG, in the Gates avenue court to-day, administered a
rebuke to Capt. REYNOLDS, of the Brownsville station, when the latter
appeared against Michael FERRARO, of 181 Stone avenue, who was shot on
Feb. 24 and was confined in a hospital until April 24. FERRARO, it is
thought by the police, knows the identity of the men who shot Michael
ARENA, the East New York saloonkeeper, several days after FERRARO was

Capt. REYNOLDS told the Court that he would like to have the man held
on the charge of vagrancy for forty-eight hours in order that he could
secure more information. Magistrate FURLONG told the Captain that he
did not think the police had done as much as they should have done in
getting information during the past two months. He said that he would
free FERRARO if the Captain did not show sufficient evidence on Monday
next to convict the man of some crime. He set the case over to that



When Magistrate FURLONG in the Gates avenue court to-day called the
case of Police Capt. William KNIPE, charged with assault by his
15-year-old son, John, and his daughter, Grace, 17 years of age, Capt.
KNIPE was not on hand to answer to his name, nor was there any one
present to represent him. The case was held over for a few minutes to
get into communication with the captain, but when called the second
time, again there was no answer.

Court Officer CALE told the magistrate that possible the captain was
being detained by attendance at the drills of the police squads for the
coming police parade.

Magistrate FURLONG retorted sharply: "The mandates of the criminal
courts must be obeyed before any police drills are looked after. I'll
set this case over to Monday and if the captain does not answer to his
name at 9 o'clock, I'll issue a warrent for him and have him brought to
court. Case adjourned to Monday."

The testimony in the case was all in at the last hearing a week ago,
but the magistrate reserved his decision on it and was to have
delivered the decision to-day.

Transcribed for the Brooklyn Info Pages by Marilynn Wright

This thread: