NYBROOKLYN-L Archives

Archiver > NYBROOKLYN > 2011-12 > 1322936653

From: "Shelley Cardiel" <>
Subject: [BKLYN] JOYCE - PICKERING Family Photograph
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 10:24:13 -0800

I've "rescued" two old photographs of Lena B. JOYCE which were both taken at
studios in Olneyville, Rhode Island. The first is dated 1890 and indicates
that Lena is 9 years old at the time it was taken. The second photograph is
dated 1894 and indicates that Lena is 12 years old at the time. Based on
limited research I was able to locate the following information regarding
Lena and her family:

Lena Belle JOYCE was b. Sept 1882 in CT to parents Isabella or Isabel Louise
ROSSITER (b. 1861 in New London, CT) and Thomas F. JOYCE (b. Dec 1860 in
Wales to parents George H. & Margaret JOYCE). Lena was one of two children
born to this couple including a brother, Russell T. JOYCE born 1896 in
Providence, RI. Lena married Walter Henry PICKERING on 5 Apr 1904 in RI and
died 10 Nov 1948 in Cranston, RI.

Census records provide the following:

1885 census of Providence, RI:

Lena B. JOYCE, age 3 years

1900 census of Providence, RI:

Thomas F. JOYCE, age 44, born Dec 1855, married 24 years, born Wales,
parents born Ireland, a Business Manager
Isabel L. JOYCE, wife, age 39, born Feb 1861, married 24 years, 2 children/2
living, born CT, parents born England
Lena B. JOYCE, dau, age 17, born Sept 1882, born CT, a Jeweler
Russell JOYCE, son, age 4, born Feb 1896, born RI

1910 census of Providence, RI:

Walter H. PICKERING, age 33, married 6 years, born RI, parents born
MA/Germany, a Factory Foreman
Lena J. PICKERING, wife, age 27, married 6 years, born CT, parents born
Wales/CT

1920 census of Brooklyn, NY:

Lena PICKERING, age 37, married, born CT, parents born Wales/CT,
Housekeeping at a Religious Public House

I am hoping to locate someone from Lena's family so that these wonderful old
photographs can be returned to their care. If you are a member of this
family, or you know someone who might be, please contact me.

Thanks,
Shelley

This thread: