NYBROOKLYN-L Archives

Archiver > NYBROOKLYN > 2011-12 > 1322962600

From: JODY DYMOND <>
Subject: [BKLYN] REYNOLDS b:1837 England
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 20:36:40 -0500

Hello , I am new to the list and am hoping I can get some suggestions on finding my vary high brick wall - John Reynolds. Please excuse the long email but I have done a lot of searching for this elusive man.

John was born in England 1 dec 1837 but I have no idea where. I cant find his birth place as I have no idea who his parents were.

I tend to think it 'may be' in the Yorkshire area where his wife was born. Gertrude Pritchard was born 1854 in Up Norwood, Croydon, Yorkshire, she was a teacher. I have all of Gertrudes family information.

John immigrated to USA in 1860-68 from England. He was 23 at the time and Gertrude immigrated in 1888 according to 1900 US Census she was 34.

I cannot find him migrating to USA.

I found my John Reynolds in the Lain Brooklyn City Directory (FHC film #1376610) 1897-98 it had John Reynolds 'nurse' h 1601 Atlantic av - - that is the address that was on his daughter Winnifred`s birth certificate, she was born 1897 in Brooklyn..

I can find no birth or marriage for John in England or in USA.

My Uncle said that he had a marriage date for John - 30 June 1876 in the family bible - I can find no marriage under that date. His birth date was correct though.

The next time I have found John (a farmer) is on the 1900 census in Oyster Bay, Nassau, NY with his family. I have not found any trace of him other than that. I cant even find the children in school and have checked census for US & England. I have all the information on their girls but not much on Richard.

On the 1900 US Census it also states that John & Gertrude married 11 years which makes it abt 1889 ? I have searched every record I can think of and also marriages and can find noting for either date.

Their children -
Richard b: 29 apr, 1891 New York ( Census says he was born New York).
Winnifred b: 27 jun, 1897 Brooklyn, NY
May b: 29 aug, 1899 Brooklyn, NY

On the 1901 England Census Gertrude was at her parents house with May. Where was hubby John, Richard and Winnifred ? Kids probably in school, but I have searched and can find no signs of them. .

In 1901 I found her in the UK incoming passenger list with May and Winifred leaving Philadelphia, PA going to Liverpool, England

I have also checked Pennsylvania records for John with no luck.

I was thinking that maybe John had been married before Gertrude ? As he was in the USA for 40 years and she was only there for 12 according to 1900 USA census.

I found Gertrude again in Stratford, Ontario, Canada with her children. She is buried in Avondale Cemetery in Canada and Johns name is on the stone but the cemetery says he is not buried there ? The cemetery says they are unable to find a death date for John.

I lost him between the 1900 census and when he migrated to Stratford, Perth County, Ontario, Canada. First signs I had of Gertrude and her girls in Canada was in the 1911 Ontario, Canada census as a widow where it says she immigrated in 1887. In the Stratford 1916 city directory there is Gertrude and two daughters living together

I have searched directories, census, ships lists, births, deathss, marriages .... " Please ", can someone steer me in the right direction as where to go what can I do next ?

Am I missing something - besides John ;-) ? Thankyou kindly for any suggestions or assistance, much appreciated. Joanne

This thread: