NYBROOKLYN-L Archives

Archiver > NYBROOKLYN > 2011-12 > 1323108916

From: Rebecca Starr <>
Subject: [BKLYN] Death and burial place of sea captain Robert A S Pittmanc1813 Va-1870/80, Kings Co, Ward 13
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 13:15:16 -0500 (EST)

I am new to the list and do not know Brooklyn sources.

Sea Captain Robert Algernon Sidney Pittman led a pretty exciting life
and career, but dies in obscurity. I find him in the 1850 US census in
Ward 13, Kings Co with wife, children and probably son Robert following
in his father's footsteps as a mariner. In 1852 Capt R A S Pittman
puts down a mutiny on board ship in the passage from Liverpool to New
York by shooting the instigator dead, an episode that makes the NY and
London papers. In the 1859 Brooklyn City Directory,
p 320,
Pittman, Robert A S shipmaster, h. 94 S. 6th
Pittman, Robert S B shipmaster, h. 94 S. 6th

He is not on the US census in 1860. He takes his family to live in
Liverpool in 1862 for the duration of the Civil War. By 1870, he is
back in Ward 13, Kings Co, NY with his second wife Ada and son
Malcolmson. Then he disappears. His widow and son are back in VA by
1880.

Where did he live in 1875? When did he die and where is he buried?
Does he have any descendents by his first marriage to his New York born
wife Sarah? I would like to visit his home if still standing and his
grave.

Thanks for any help.

This thread: