NYBROOKLYN-L Archives

Archiver > NYBROOKLYN > 2011-12 > 1323796884

From: "Bill Pfeifer" <>
Subject: Re: [BKLYN] Frank Murphy and Dorothy Dwyer
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 12:21:24 -0500

Kim,

I find it interesting that in the 1930 census, the question "age at first
marriage" was left blank. It could mean that Frank and Dorothy were not
officially married despite the earlier question of marital status. And that
could explain why you have not found a marriage certificate. I noticed in
Dorothy's SSDI record, she did not register for Social Security until she
was 67 years old. Why? Is that a clue?

Because the census ask for facts as of April 1, 1930, birthdays are
calculated from there. If the child was 1/12, he was born in March. And
since the 0 is questionable for son Frank, his age could be 10/12 making
him born on June 1929 or 1/12 for March, 1930. I looked at several examples
by this enumerator and he is confusing. In the SSDI, I found a Frank Murphy
born on March 8, 1930 who died March 1980 in Deer Park, Suffolk county, NY.
His own death certificate or descendants could provide answers.

And the 1940 census should be available publicly April 1, 2012. Hopefully,
more info.

Good luck,
Bill Pfeifer