NYBROOKLYN-L Archives

Archiver > NYBROOKLYN > 2011-12 > 1323898967

Subject: [BKLYN] MoRe: [NY-IRISH] Lost Irishman James McGann
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 16:42:47 -0500 (EST)

Hi Jack, & all you little green helpers out there (:~>)

He needs some new eyes to view these images to detect:

l) SURNAME in 1860 as transcribed by Ancestry.com....follow directions and
read lines 18- 21
2) NAME OF CENSUS TAKER in 1860

McGANN in 1860 US Census, circuitous route, as this spelling doesn't bring
up James via Ancestry or Heritage Quest. So we try the old "Use a Neighbor"
route.
Go on Ancestry.com
Enter Name: Albert Robinson
Birth Year: 1856
Home in 1860:Ossining, Westchester, New York

CENSUS STATES:
State: New York,
County: Westchester
Town: Ossining
Village: Sing Sing
Page No. 133
Filed: 27 June 1860
Census Recorder: Abraham Hyatt???

1870
Mary McGANN
Kings County, Brooklyn
Ward 21
Page 193

Anything else to add, Jack?

Barb

> writes:
>
> James McGann born Ireland 1826 or 1833 came to Westchester County in 1853
> and married Mary Carr McGann. They had two children Annie and Thomas.
> We found Mary and the children in the 1870 Brooklyn census and she listed
> herself as a widow.

This thread: