NYBROOKLYN-L Archives

Archiver > NYBROOKLYN > 2011-12 > 1323913594

Subject: Re: [BKLYN] MoRe: [NY-IRISH] Lost James McGann
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 20:46:34 -0500 (EST)

Thank you Betty.

Both replies confirmed the surname in 1860 looks different for almost each
family member, and we still can't figure out how Ancestry transcribed it, to
refind it.

The woman who found them for Jack must have gone through page by page, the
old fashioned way!

Jack can't find his James/Jas McGANN, illiterate Irish immigrant, between
1860 Westchester County and 1870 Kings County, Mary as widow. Civil War
records dead ends.

Anyone have any good suggestions for WILDCARD SEARCH surnames for McGANN?

Thanks a lot
Barb
======================
> Barb,
>
> Re: McGann James and Mary
>
> l) SURNAME in 1860 as transcribed by Ancestry.com....follow directions and
>
> read lines 18- 21
>
> Looks like McGanin or Gamin in 1860. Tried search on Ancestry with
> these names but did not find.
>
> 2) Name of Census Taker 1860: Abram Hyatt
>
> Also found in 1880 Bklyn, 217th ED, 773 Park Avenue North Side
>
> Mary McGann 51, Out of Work b.Ireland
> Annie 19, Dressmaker b. New York
> Thomas 17, Mat. Factory b. New York
>
> Hope this helps.