NYBROOKLYN-L Archives

Archiver > NYBROOKLYN > 2011-12 > 1324585769

Subject: [BKLYN] Boolean Searching
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 15:29:29 -0500 (EST)

"How to Create a Boolean Search"

Before describing how to orchestrate such a search, please know that not
every search engine accepts the Boolean method. Many researchers will be happy
to know that Google.com does cooperate with it. Some newspapers' search
engines don't identify their method as Boolean, but offer you drop down menu
choices that utilize Boolean choices.

Here's my best simplification, that I test drove.

First of all, a Boolean search uses something called "operators," a lot
like the old Ma Bell. Operators are simply key words which tell the search
engine more, so that we eliminate unwanted results, or "hits."

The primary, most universally used operator words are
AND, OR and NOT,
all expressed in CAPS as shown above.

Example 1: I want to search for my Walter BURKE, not the Royal version
better known as "Sir Walter Burke." This is an especially good example for sear
ching
newspapers, as hey, I want my ancestor not some well known English royal.

Thus, the Boolean search term I would enter is:
"Walter Burke NOT Sir Walter Burke"

Google.com does accept Boolean searching.
Example 2: on Google:

The straight Vertical line, the “|” symbol, is treated as if it was an OR
operator.
Example:
So entering : “New York” OR university OR college
will bring up the same results as
“New York"| university | college

Personally, Ilove the book"Google Your Family Tree," as it includes such
advice.

Last point, if you are unsure how to phrase and punctuate your search term,
for a search engine that accepts the Boolean method, try out your ideas on
this line.

PRACTICE WITH THE BOOLIFY GAME>
http://boolify.org/index.php

NEXT TO POST: Wild card Searching

SEARCHING: Naturalizations at NYC NARA

I hope this is helpful to all and to all, a good night!
Happy O'Holidays,
Barb
Metro NYC Researcher

> writes:
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I recommend using Boolean as a search type … this will allow you to
> filter
> > out many unwanted returns especially due to the large number of pages on
>
> > this site…
> >
> > Please read the help and FAQ section on how to use it..its very
> powerfull
> > if you understand how to use it
> >
> > Tom Tryniski

This thread: