OH-FOOTSTEPS-L Archives

Archiver > OH-FOOTSTEPS > 1999-10 > 0939065653

From: "Maggie Stewart" <>
Subject: Next County - Summit Facts
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 15:34:13 -0400

SUMMIT COUNTY OHIO

DATE CREATED - 1840
PARENT COUNTY - Portage, Medina, Stark
COUNTY SEAT - Akron
SURROUNDED BY:
NORTH - Cuyahoga County
EAST - Portage County
EAST SOUTHEAST - Stark County
WEST SOUTHWEST - Wayne County
WEST NORTHWEST - Medina County

Akron-Summit County Public Library
Language, Literature & History Dept.
Genealogy Librarian: Marian Davies
55 South Main St, Akron, OH 44326-0001
330-643-9010
Main Library Hours:
Mondays - Thursdays 9 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Fridays 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Saturdays 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Sundays (September-May) 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Guide to Genealogical Materials Microfilm Collection
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~maggieoh/ascpl.html
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~maggieoh/ascplmf.html

Summit County Genealogical Society
A Chapter of O.G.S.
P. O. Box 2232
Akron, OH 44309-2232
Email:
Information about Chapter
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~maggieoh/scgs.html

The Summit County OHGenWeb Page
http://www.rootsweb.com/~ohsummit/

Summit County Historical Society
http://www.neo.lrun.com/Summit_County_Historical_Society/
550 Copley Rd.
Akron, OH 44320
330-535-1120
Email:

Hudson Genealogical Study Group
Hudson Library and Historical Society
http://www.rootsweb.com/~ohhudogs/hudson.htm
Dept. G.
22 Aurora Street
Hudson, OH 44236-2947
Email:

I just finished updating and moving my Web page with all the Advertisements
scanned in from my GGrandmothers cookbook published in Akron in 1893. I have
also included a index of all names that appeared in the cookbook. Its a
great snapshot of Akron! Please take a look and let me know what you think!

http://home.att.net/~ltrifonoff/

--
Lisa Trifonoff

OTHER INFORMATION

Summit County has the highest land along the Ohio Canal. The county is noted
for its chain of natural lakes. The Cuyahoga and Tuscarawas Rivers flow
through the county.

The city of Akron, the county seat, was laid out in 1825 by General Simon
Perkins of Warren, Ohio. Its name comes from a Greek word meaning "high".
Although best known as a leading producer of rubber, the city is also an
important research and development center, as well as one of the nation's
leading producers of childrens books and toys.

Probate Court maintains the following records: Estate Records 1840 to
present, births 1867 to 1908, marriages 1840 to present, deaths 1867 to
1908.

Family History Library has some birth, marriage, death, cemetery, civil
court, land, naturalization, probate & tax records.

My name is Mary Ann Hetrick. I am the Summit County Coordinator for the
OHGenWeb. We Have a lot of famous things that happened in Summit County.
Summit is named for the highest point along the Erie-Ohio Canal
It was Established by an act of Congress - March 3, 1840. formed from Medina
& Portage Counties and two townships from Stark County.
The 1996 Census Population: 530,571
Land area of Summit County is: 412.8 Square Miles.
The County Seat is: Akron City
Known as the "Rubber Capital of the World," Akron in Summit County is
recognized as the world leader in polymer research. The University of
Akron's Institute of Polymer Science is internationally acclaimed. The
Goodyear and B. F. Goodrich both have rubber and Tire plants in Akron.
Historical events in Summit include:
John Brown, the person who lead the attack on Harpers Ferry that helped
start the Civil War. His father was also an abolitionist whom was believed
to be a conductor on the underground railroad, and housed many runaway
slaves in his home.
Thomas Edison's father in law Lewis Miller, also lived in Summit County. as
well as General Simon Perkins, founded Akron, and who fought in the war of
1812. His son Col. George Perkins who fought in many battles in the Civil
War, and convinced the B. F. Goodrich Company to move to Summit County. The
mansion of Col. Simon Perkins was constructed near historic Portage Path in
Akron.
Columbus Barber who founded Barberton in 1892, ran the Barber Match Company,
which then became Diamond Match Company. Also took over Diamond Rubber
Company which eventually became B.F. Goodrich.

http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~maggieoh/msummit.htm

This thread: