OH-FOOTSTEPS-L Archives

Archiver > OH-FOOTSTEPS > 1999-10 > 0939738768

From: <>
Subject: BIO: MAY, 1885, Allen Co.
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 10:32:48 EDT

HISTORY OF ALLEN COUNTY, OHIO. Warner, Beers & Co.: Chicago, 1885, page 583.

FRANCIS M. MAY, farmer, P.O. Lima, was born in Bath Township, this
county, April 5, 1847; son of George and Catherine (GENSEL) MAY, who settled
in Bath Township, this county, in 1834, on the farm now owned by Jacob MONRY,
which they cleared, and improved, afterward locating at the farm now occupied
by our subject, where the father died in 1881, in his eighty-first year; the
mother is now in her seventy-eighth year; both were natives of Pennsylvania.
Our subject's paternal grandfather, John MAY was a farmer of Pennsylvania;
his maternal grandfather, John GENSEL, was a native of Pennsylvania, and a
pioneer of Jackson Township, Allen County, Ohio. George and Catherine MAY
had twelve children of whom ten grew to manhood and womanhood: John, Albert,
Nathaniel, George W., Andrew, Mary (wife of Benjamin KELLER), David, Susannah
(wife of Lewis WEYER), Francis M. and Jacob. Of these, four sons served the
Union during the late war of the Rebellion: David, George W., Andrew and
Francis M. who was in the 100 days' service, enlisting in 1865, in Company G,
One Hundred and Fifty-first O.V.I., and was honorably discharged at
expiration of that time. The subject of this sketch was reared in Bath
Township, this county, where he received a common school education. At the
age of twenty-two years he purchased the old homestead, in company with his
brother-in-law, Lewis WEYER, which they afterward sold; and in 1870 purchased
the farm where he (Mr. MAY) has since resided (he purchased his
brother-in-law's interest in 1879), and has cleared a part of the farm,
making many improvements. Mr. MAY was married June 3, 1866, to Melinda,
daughter of Andrew and Nancy E. (NASH) WEYER, of Lima, by whom he has four
children living: Lewis, Lizzie, Etta and Walter. Mr. and Mrs. MAY are
members of the German Reformed Church. In politics he is a Republican.

Submitted by
Joyce Godfrey
Oct. 13, 1999

This thread: