Archiver > OH-FOOTSTEPS > 1999-10 > 0939758427

From: Gina Reasoner <>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 16:00:27 -0400

F.A. Battey & Co., 1882

BENJAMIN GIGGY came to the United States with his parents, Benedict and
Christina Giggy, in 1852. He was born August 29, 1844, in Canton Berne,
Switzerland, and was one of five children. In Boston, Summit Co., Ohio,
during the year 1853, he worked for $7 per month. Coming to this township
in 1854, he was engaged in farm work for John Ray, and attended school
until 1859. The three following years he worked at the stone mason's trade
with this father. In August, 1863, he enlisted in company G, Eighty-eighth
Indiana Volunteer Infantry, but at Fort Wayne was taken down with lung
fever, and was not able to report for six weeks. He was then furnished
transportation to Louisville, Ky., where he was again attacked with lung
fever, and in December returned home. In the spring of 1864, he enlisted in
Company H, Forty-fourth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served until the
war closed. During his last three months of service he was detailed as
clerk at Gen. Gillen's headquarters, District East Tennessee, and was
mustered out at Nashville September 25, 1865. August 12, 1866, Mr. Giggy
and Miss Sarah Bowen were united in marriage. She is a native of Holmes
County, Ohio; born September 6, 1846. They have had seven children, viz.:
May, Ella C., Alonzo B., Clara C., Clyde, Ray (died August 14, 1880), and
Carl. Mr. Giggy purchased forty acres of his farm in 1864, and the other
forty in 1871, and its improved conditions is mainly due to his efforts.

CHRISTIAN GIGGY, one of the leading citizens of his township, came to
America in the spring of 1851, in company with his sister Ellen, now Mrs.
John Roy. He is a son of Benedict and Christina (Snyder) Giggy, who were
parents of three boys and two girls, and was born in Canton Berne,
Switzerland, February 1, 1832. Mrs. Christian Giggy is also a native of the
same place, born in July, 1818. She married Mr. Giggy in Summit county,
Ohio, in August, 1851. She was Ellen Burkhalter, daughter of John and
Barbary (Pfiefer) Burkhalter, parents of ten children. Mr. Giggy landed in
New York, went to Cleveland, Ohio, remained a few days working in a
foundry, then went to Peninsula, Summit County, Ohio, where he worked in a
stone quarry for a time, then in a saw-mill, and farmed two years. He came
to this township in 1855, and worked at the stone mason's trade in
connection with farming. In 1859, he bought twenty acres of improved land,
that he sold in 1862, and bought the farm of one hundred and fifteen, where
he now lives. Mr. and Mrs. Giggy are members of the Lutheran Church, and
have a family of five children -Mary E., Rosanna (now Mrs. Hart), Charles
W., Oscar L. and Sarah R.

JOHN GIGGY is a native of Canton Berne, Switzerland, where he was born May
14, 1838. He came to America with his parents, Benedict and Christina
(Snyder) Giggy, in December, 1852. Benedict Giggy was a soldier in
Switzerland for twenty-one years. John Giggy worked in a cotton factory at
Pittsburgh, Penn., for three months, immediately after his arrival,
receiving $5 per week; he then went to Summit County, Ohio, where he worked
as a stone-mason, and farmed two years; wages from $15 to $17 per month. In
1854, Mr. Giggy came to this township, and worked for $10 per month, until
he was married, October 11, 1858, to Samantha Hart. He then bought a small
farm near South Milford, which he sold in 1861, he enlisted in Company H,
Forty-fourth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and in December, crossed the Ohio
into Kentucky; was at the battle of Fort Donelson, and was wounded at
Shiloh, and was sent to the hospital at Evansville, Ind., then home on a
discharge furlough. In June, 1862, he reported at Indianapolis, but was
ordered back home; he returned again in July, however, remained three or
four weeks at the soldier's home; then started South and rejoined his
regiment at Murfreesboro, and in the battle at Chickamauga was wounded in
the hip. September 19, 1863, after which he walked back to Bridgeport,
Ala., using a bed slat for a crutch, being three days on the road, and
having nothing to eat all that time but three crackers. From there he was
sent to the hospital at Nashville; remained about one month, then came home
on a furlough. December 31, 1863, he again rejoined his regiment at
Chattanooga, and re-enlisted in the same company as a veteran,
participating in all the marches and engagements until they were mustered
out at Indianapolis in October, 1865. Mr. Giggy then returned to his farm
that he purchased in 1862, and worked as a stone mason in connection with
farming. In 1872, he sold his farm, and in 1873, purchased the old
homestead, where he now lives. Mr. and Mrs. Giggy have a family of nine
children -Ellen J. (now Mrs. Rowen), John H., Anna B., Emma R., Agnes,
George F., Fred C., William M., and an infant unnamed.

This thread: